Options

Got Another Interview

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well I got a call today from a local company for a job interview. They said I qualified for a couple of position, but they are bringing me in for the web development position they have open. I did tell the HR Rep that I'm not a web developer by trade (I don't like to waste peoples time) and she said that it was a really entry level position not to worry. So I go in on Monday at 10:30!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!

While you are there you should check out the other positions also if possible. Even if you don't get this one you might one of the others!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Good point! I'll make sure to make an inquiry when I am there..
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    So the interview went pretty good! I'd be a contractor for a government agency, but an employee of the company so I get benefits. One of the few interviews that I have gone through when there definitely wasn't a position and that they didn't explain exactly what I would be doing. But salary is within the range I was hoping for and I'd get to do some programming which I was hoping to get into a little bit. They have java experts so they would mentor/teach me as I went along. Should know in a week or less....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    One of the few interviews that I have gone through when there definitely wasn't a position and that they didn't explain exactly what I would be doing.

and this doesnt worry you at all ???

for me unless I could get a more clearly defined role etc I'd be leaving well alone, I have been caught out in the past being offered roles suitably vague, once there the role has no structure or substance to it...
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, but I would also be a bit wary about a position which is vague, because you don't know exactly what the job entails
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    Well with times being what they are and my bills for school getting ready to come in my hands are just about tied...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Well with times being what they are and my bills for school getting ready to come in my hands are just about tied...

Go back to school. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Go back to school. icon_lol.gif

That's unfortunately one reason why I may have to seriously consider going for my Master's degree sooner than I thought I would. Sad truth for a lot of people these days that are carrying student loan debt expecting to have been doing better salary wise than they are now. I fortunately won't be nearing repayment until early 2010 so hopefully things will be a bit better by then.
  • Options
    I have been looking at Master's programs, but I am running into some issues. First, finding a way to pay for it. Second, I am conflicted on what exactly I would like to go for. Finally, have to be fulltime to defer my loans and doesn't seem possible to go to school fulltime and work fulltime. Plus very few companies will pay for fulltime graduate school...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I have been looking at Master's programs, but I am running into some issues. First, finding a way to pay for it. Second, I am conflicted on what exactly I would like to go for. Finally, have to be fulltime to defer my loans and doesn't seem possible to go to school fulltime and work fulltime. Plus very few companies will pay for fulltime graduate school...

If you have federal loans, you can defer at half-time with those.
  • Options
    Yeah I have some, but the vast majority are private loans. Government doesn't give money to the middleclass students and colleges don't believe in scholarships for people with A's/B's and 1170 SAT's....but I'll continue the search and see what I can find. Professor of mine seems to believe I'd do well with a Master's in Intelligence/Homeland Security and I am considering it because might go well with my Computer Security education.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the job, get experience and pay your bills.
    If the job sucks, then look for something else while you are still bringing in a paycheck.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    That's my plan, but they called yesterday and it didn't sound like the Agency the contract was for was too keen on me. Oh well here's to the continued search........
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Got word today that I didn't get the position. I knew it was coming for two reasons. First, the manager at the government agency was looking for someone with experience. Second, all my interaction has been with the owner of the company and this time his Secretary called and left a message for me to speak with her. So now I continue the search....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff