Options

Packet Tracer Limitations?

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
I'm just curious about some of the limitations with Packet Tracer 5.0
I was setting up some Switch labs from the Sybex Book that I have and kept running into goofy problems during the Switching labs.

For example, the switches will take the command "switchport port-security maximum 1" and "switchport port-security violation shutdown"

However when I look at the running config, these commands are nowhere to be found. I found this out after attempting to test this command out but plugging in a different host to the port I set it up on.

I've tried several times with different switches in the program, but no luck! I've also had some other switch commands not work at all. I'm just curious if anyone has had the same issues.

I just bought a 2950 switch on ebay last night, so when it arrives I will be able to play with the real commands. Right now I have a catalyst 3550 XL at home but it doesn't support many of the commands I need.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It only supports and simulates a very limited set of commands. If you're trying to do anything which they didn't cater for then it just won't do it.
  • Options
    jbriggyjbriggy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Megadeth,

I fired up Packet Tracer to try and re-create your issue, and I got the same thing. The commands take, but do not work as they are supposed to. So it looks like a definate limitation of the software. I guess that just goes to show there's no substitute for the real thing.

I've had my own set of problems with Packet Tracer when I was studying for my CCNA; it didnt like RSTP or multi-area OSPFs. But good luck to you all the same.
  • Options
    jbriggy wrote: »
    Megadeth,

I fired up Packet Tracer to try and re-create your issue, and I got the same thing. The commands take, but do not work as they are supposed to. So it looks like a definate limitation of the software. I guess that just goes to show there's no substitute for the real thing.

I've had my own set of problems with Packet Tracer when I was studying for my CCNA; it didnt like RSTP or multi-area OSPFs. But good luck to you all the same.

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad it's not just me then :)
    Packet tracer is awesome when I'm not at home.... That's usually while at work when we are slow. When I'm home I try to use my real equipment, but I'm lacking in switches.

I have:
    3 x 2600 series routers
    1 x 1700 series router
    1 x catalyst 3550 XL
    and I finally have a 2950 ordered but not in my possession yet.

Obviously Packet Tracer gives me great flexibility for some labs that I just don't have enough equipment for, but lacks in a lot of other areas. I think the areas it lacks in, I might be able to get by with my equipment.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Megadeth4168,

I am a Cisco Networking Academy alumni so I'm familiar with Packet Tracer. Instead of trying to figure out the limitations of Packet Tracer 5.0, understand that Packet Tracer was designed to accomplish the various Packet Tracer activities within the courses for the Cisco Networking Academy. As soon as you're using Packet Tracer outside the scope of the Cisco Networking Academy program, like using a Sybex book to study towards CCNA(R) certification, you are officially a test pilot. A car is designed to be driven on roads, not on water so your question "Packet Tracer Limitations?" is like asking if a car can operate on/in water? It's just not designed for that usage.
    I was setting up some Switch labs from the Sybex Book that I have and kept running into goofy problems during the Switching labs.

For example, the switches will take the command "switchport port-security maximum 1" and "switchport port-security violation shutdown"

Talking about goofy problems, here's a goofy question. After you configured the switchport command on the switch did you then take the extra step of actually plugging a computer into that switchport?
    However when I look at the running config, these commands are nowhere to be found. I found this out after attempting to test this command out but plugging in a different host to the port I set it up on.

Other than "Switch#show running-config" how else can you verify that switchport commands have taken effect?
    I've tried several times with different switches in the program, but no luck! I've also had some other switch commands not work at all. I'm just curious if anyone has had the same issues.

I just bought a 2950 switch on ebay last night, so when it arrives I will be able to play with the real commands. Right now I have a catalyst 3550 XL at home but it doesn't support many of the commands I need.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    When I was studying for the icnd1 test I remember port security not working like already stated. You can still get by studying for the second test. Still haven't tried to set up a frame switch yet. Know that that the DO command works as well as ether channel. Guess I will figure other things out when I get to them.
  • Options
    I am a Cisco Networking Academy alumni

Hey me too! From about 9 years ago... Wish I wouldn't have taken so long to get back into Cisco.

Anyway, The first thing I had tried was plugging in a different host to the port to which security was applied. This is when I knew it wasn't working, so I checked the config and it wasn't there.

I'm convinced that port-security just won't work with packet tracer, it's not the end of the world, I have real equipment to play with, but I use Packet Tracer when I'm not home using my real equipment.
  • Options
    daJwaydaJway Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is true. I'm on my 4th semester of Cisco network academy and I have been able to do everything with the routers, switches, etc that was in the books. The only thing I ever had problems with was frame relay which i realized you had to use a cloud lol.

Packet tracer might have a few limitations, but its a perfect tool to get you through the ccna if you cannot afford the real thing. You really won't find much like it.
    Jason
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    When I was studying for the icnd1 test I remember port security not working like already stated. You can still get by studying for the second test. Still haven't tried to set up a frame switch yet. Know that that the DO command works as well as ether channel. Guess I will figure other things out when I get to them.

Last semester I took Switches in the cisco network academy and I was allowed to do port-security and everything. Have you used the Packet Tracer 5.?
    Jason
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Haven't tried port security with 5 yet. Like I said before I know the DO command works in 5. Also you can get frame relay working in 5?
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I really don't understand why people bother with simulation software.

Download GNS3, it doesn't simulate anything, it emulates real Cisco hardware. If the command exist on the real thing, then it will exist when using GNS3. Its thats simple and its free, all you need is the IOS image.

See my web site for a review, and tutorials.

Download GNS3 below:

GNS3 |
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mattrgee wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people bother with simulation software.
    It is provided for free via NetAcad so for most people, it is good enough.

Some people don't want to use illegally obtained software, they don't know about Dynamips, their PC is too slow or they just find it too much effort to setup.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mattrgee wrote: »
    Download GNS3, it doesn't simulate anything, it emulates real Cisco hardware. If the command exist on the real thing, then it will exist when using GNS3.
    Dynamips is a MIPS processor Emulator that can execute the IOS Files written for routers with MIPS processors. ALL the hardware interfaces are SIMULATED. You DO NOT HAVE HARDWARE QUEUES for QoS. That's also why the Switching support SUCKS.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253

I'm a newb at this, but, i believe "show running-config" does not display those because they are defaults. That is, a switch would not show them either. Or at least that's what I understood from CBT Nuggets. Out of curiosity try "switchport port-security maximum 2" and see if it shows up; I remember it does.

That being said, I've found plenty of other commands that are not implemented in Packet Tracer that are discussed in the Cisco Press book. Such is the way of simulators...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Talking about goofy problems, here's a goofy question. After you configured the switchport command on the switch did you then take the extra step of actually plugging a computer into that switchport?

Other than "Switch#show running-config" how else can you verify that switchport commands have taken effect?

I ran into this problem a few months ago when I was putting together some sample labs for a well known website. The violation command definitely doesnt work. The sticky command does and the mac max does as well.
  • Options
    Amp is exactly right.

I've been using packet tracer 5 to play around with (It's what I have to use for school anyway)

I will show you the running config I've been playing with. I have vlans setup as well as vtp. I went to int fa0/24 and entered "switchport port-security", "switchport port-security maximum 1", "switchport port-security violation shutdown", and "switchport port-security mac-address sticky" and ran show run.

!
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    switchport access vlan 10
    switchport mode access
    switchport port-security
    switchport port-security mac-address sticky
    !

Afterward I went back and put in "switchport port-security maximum 2" and ran show run agian.

!
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    switchport access vlan 10
    switchport mode access
    switchport port-security
    switchport port-security maximum 2
    switchport port-security mac-address sticky
    !
    Jason