Options

Practical Skills and Knowlege

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am about to start applying for jobs and I am a bit worried I am lacking in some areas I might not know about.

For example I have "minimal" work experience and am trying to get more but as I am currently studying for my masters and time is hard to comeby.

The real question is what should I be looking into, what are the core skills?

eg:

Experience with exchange
MS Server
Active directory

If I was to focus on 5 about things, eg:setting them up in a home lab or nagging my tutor to show me how they work what would you reccomend I do to get the most out of it?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    There are so many paths out there. If you want to go Microsoft path then what you mentioned is what you really need to focus on.

If you want to go the Cisco path, then you need to focus on the how to work with Cisco devices, and the CCNA will be your starting point, and so forth.

If you want to do server support, then you better work for a vendor such as SUN or IBM or HP, and there you will get exposure to the things you need

Good luck :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Depends on what you want to do and where you want to work...explain those and you'll probably get lots of suggestions.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    It sounds like you are on the Microsoft system administrator path. Is that what you want to do? Other paths are Cisco network admin/tech/engineer, security engineer (usually requires one of the previous two specialties), and even software engineer.

If you have not decided on a specific IT path yet, I'd suggest taking whatever IT job you can get and go from there. With minimal work experience, you might have a very tough time finding an IT job in the present economy, even as first-tier help desk support. After you have a couple of years work experience, you can then change to a job in a specialty that's more to your liking.

What's your Masters in?
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses guys,

I should have been a bit more specific sorry.

My course also encompasses the CCNA.
    The desired route for me would be that of a network engineer/admin.

Aside from the CCNA and limited practical experience I get in the labs what else can I do to improve my employability.

I have work experience lined up for 2 weeks in the Easter break, but just would like to know what Qualifications or other hands on experience I should push for, (even if its at home with a couple of old PC's)

Thanks
  • Options
    When is comes to computer networking, you can't go wrong having security-related certs and experience. The CCNA Security and CCSP is the next thing you should look at. If even the CCNA Security cert seems a bit too far ahead of your understanding, look at the Security+ cert. It's the entry-level InfoSec cert most people here recommend getting first.

As for hands on, learn about all the security features on a Cisco routers (especially AAA) and see if you can help out on any firewall, VPN, IDS, and wireless security configurations. It's also very useful to know how an organization's security policies are written and implemented. Knowing how all that administrative paperwork works is also valued by employers.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    When is comes to computer networking, you can't go wrong having security-related certs and experience. The CCNA Security and CCSP is the next thing you should look at. If even the CCNA Security cert seems a bit too far ahead of your understanding, look at the Security+ cert. It's the entry-level InfoSec cert most people here recommend getting first.

As for hands on, learn about all the security features on a Cisco routers (especially AAA) and see if you can help out on any firewall, VPN, IDS, and wireless security configurations. It's also very useful to know how an organization's security policies are written and implemented. Knowing how all that administrative paperwork works is also valued by employers.

Thanks JD,

In terms of actual jobs to apply for do you think I would be looking at 1st line support or are there other entry level jobs which are more specific to networks and security?

Also I know this may sound a bit wet but what is the actual definition of a 1st line support job?

Cheers
  • Options
    nezzy456 wrote: »
    In terms of actual jobs to apply for do you think I would be looking at 1st line support or are there other entry level jobs which are more specific to networks and security?
    Besides helpdesk, you can find gruntwork in server rooms, pulling cables, and anything else an unpaid intern might do.
    Also I know this may sound a bit wet but what is the actual definition of a 1st line support job?
    1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, etc. correspond to Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 support or Help Desk. 1st line is answering basic questions (e.g., "Where did my Recycle Bin go?") and providing basic assistance (e.g., resetting forgotten passwords). It's the first place people go when they have a problem, and Tier 1 people are (usually) working from scripts. If the scripts can't solve it, escalate the problem to Tier 2.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, etc. correspond to Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 support or Help Desk. 1st line is answering basic questions (e.g., "Where did my Recycle Bin go?") and providing basic assistance (e.g., resetting forgotten passwords). It's the first place people go when they have a problem, and Tier 1 people are (usually) working from scripts. If the scripts can't solve it, escalate the problem to Tier 2.

Tier 1 sounds pretty bad (i enjoy the problem solving and want to use my brain and improve myself not just carry out simple repetitive tasks.), is there many people who enter to tier 2? Or is it generally a natural progression?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Tier 1 sounds pretty bad (i enjoy the problem solving and want to use my brain and improve myself not just carry out simple repetitive tasks.), is there many people who enter to tier 2? Or is it generally a natural progression?

yep it can be bad, but thats usually after you've done it for a while and can answer most of the the problems in your sleep. It can also be a very interesting place to work as you do see some interesting\idiotic\mind blowing things that people do.

Most people go through helldesk at some point in their careers. The way to avoid this tend to be getting a role at a smaller firm where your expected to pretty much muck in and do anything thats thrown at you.

pro's n cons going both routes.

And as always there are exceptions to the rule.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

I work in Tier 1 at a NOC facility and I can tell you my job is alot more than just creating tickets. The tech's I work with and I do everything from ticket creation to rebuilding PVC's and other WAN links on our trunks. We deal with MPLS, Frame Relay, ATM and metro-ethernet on an hourly basis. We're soley working on Layer 2, that's it. Layer 3 is another group and so is Layer 1.

It's fun. Days like today make your head hurt, but I enjoy my job!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    phantasm wrote: »
    I work in Tier 1 at a NOC facility and I can tell you my job is alot more than just creating tickets. The tech's I work with and I do everything from ticket creation to rebuilding PVC's and other WAN links on our trunks. We deal with MPLS, Frame Relay, ATM and metro-ethernet on an hourly basis. We're soley working on Layer 2, that's it. Layer 3 is another group and so is Layer 1.

It's fun. Days like today make your head hurt, but I enjoy my job!!

man i need a job like that.. that sounds AWESOME icon_cheers.gif