Options

What holds greater market value for admins?

vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
I will be finishing up my MCSE sometime this summer, and have a ton of interest in pursuing CCNA and RHCT level knowledge. These will lead to pursuits of CCNP and/or RHCE. My plan is to make myself a more marketable administrator/jr engineer. I have great interests in obtaining more server knowledge and networking knowledge, so thats a wash. I am merely interested in fielding opinions as to which is more marketable, for an MCSE. Remember, the CCNP/RHCE is further down the road. I'd obviously like to first tackle the CCNA and/or RHCT. Thanks for the opinions.
Certified Lunatic.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Judging by my being called a no skill llama the other day by an HR rep (yes they used more politically correct but equally insulting language) I would say that Cisco looks to be the most useful add-on skill these days. I see lots of jobs asking for Cisco experience in addition to systems administration. Now if you are wanting to shift from Microsoft to Linux then the RHCE would be ideal for that. Around here they seem to be desperate for Linux admins. I really need to return to my RHCE studies.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I've had a lot of employers call me up recently. Every single one of them asked if I had my CCNA yet, once I told them that I was still working on it, they wanted nothing to with me.

It's unfortunate, but an MCSE just doesn't seem to hold nearly as much weight as it used to.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it were me, I might go for the CCNA and RHCT and see what I liked working with the best. I wouldn't attempt picking up with the CCNP and RHCE, instead I would focus more on one or the other as I believe that for that level of knowledge you are going to be working with one or the other professionally, not likely both.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it were me, I might go for the CCNA and RHCT and see what I liked working with the best. I wouldn't attempt picking up with the CCNP and RHCE, instead I would focus more on one or the other as I believe that for that level of knowledge you are going to be working with one or the other professionally, not likely both.

You make a great point, msteinhilber. My problem is that I have great interest in pursuing both. I'd like to position myself as an architect in training, able to be highly proficient in server side and networking (and eventually some software, but the software is years down the road). I'm seeing lots of opportunity for both Cisco and Linux knowledge. It seems that the Cisco route may be a bit more marketable, judging by the responses. Either way its win-win for me because I'm eager to pursue both. Thanks for the responses.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    vsmith3rd wrote: »
    You make a great point, msteinhilber. My problem is that I have great interest in pursuing both. I'd like to position myself as an architect in training, able to be highly proficient in server side and networking (and eventually some software, but the software is years down the road). I'm seeing lots of opportunity for both Cisco and Linux knowledge. It seems that the Cisco route may be a bit more marketable, judging by the responses. Either way its win-win for me because I'm eager to pursue both. Thanks for the responses.

If you're willing to move, both RHCE and CCNP, separately or together, will get you a job pretty much guaranteed. CCNA and RHCT not so much, but they're still hot, imo.

You can do both and really it's recommended if you have the resources. If you're going to be an architect or engineer and plan on dealing with those technologies, definitely do it and get some experience in for a few years with both.

If you're going to do engineer/design work and want to go the sysadmin route and skip working in networking altogether(not recommended), it's doable and I would suggest skipping CCNP and go straight for CCDP.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNA is by far more valuable at the entry/jr level. Frankly, consider snagging the entire entry level certifiaction set from Cisco.

CCENT >> CCNA >> CCNA: Security >> CCNA: Voice >> CCNA: Wireless >> CCDA
    -Daniel
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are going to get the RHCT I would go all the way for the RHCE. I say this because if you get RHCT when you go for the RHCE you will have to take RHCT again. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    CCNA without a doubt. Remember, it's assumed by some (and no, this ISN'T fair, but it's the way it is) since you only have MCSE that you don't know TCP/IP until proven otherwise. CCNA will bolster the value of MCSE far more than a linux cert would.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm just curious : does MCSA/MCSE really down-grading these days? especially in the US?
    because i thought those 2 between CCNA/NP and MCSA/SE are 2 different things. Let say we dont study Group Policy or specific server service and things like that in general CCNA/NP level right?

i remembered years ago learning my subnetting or some intermediate TCP/IP stack from a MS Press book.

if you have to choose between MS way and RH way - now, i'll call that a hard choice :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is the 'cert du jour' and everyone seems to look for that over something like Network+ for networking knowledge. Linux seems to be more of a specialization these days.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    brown9brown9 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is probably more valuable and recognizable to HR people. Linux knowledge is definitely an asset though. Many companies see value in people with Linux skills, especially if their existing staff are only experienced with MS products.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    It seems the sad fact that HR people are the ones holding the "eggs" when it comes to hiring any position. When it comes to IT certs and what they "value" them as, they don't seem to have a clue, rather they just see acronyms and go from there. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Undomiel, I think I would have had to put that person in their place. It is AMAZING how many people I deal with, even executive staff, that barely even know how to turn on a PC/laptop, are "professional" degreed people, bringing down big salaries, but they are clueless on the value of "GOOD" IT people. It's like , "My God man, how can you not know how to use the main tool that provides you day in and out resources for you to get that fat check?!!!!!" Having to hand walk someone who uses this equipment daily gets old. Outside sales people...don't even get me started!

Oh....sorry, just had to rant!

Sad....truly sad.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!