Options

Access Server

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm sure there's already a thread about purchasing a nice inexpensive access server, I am thinking of buying one, that will support at least 8 - 12 devices, it becomes burdensome when I have to plug into the console line on each of the device when I perform lab and accidentally mess the running config/ethernet ports...

I'm still kinda new to Cisco world, so I need some suggestions or posts about this.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    2511 or a 2600/2600XM with a NM-16A or NM-32A.

2600/2600XM if you want to use SSH or you want the ability to have 32 lines with the NM-32A.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tiersten wrote: »
    2511 or a 2600/2600XM with a NM-16A or NM-32A.

2600/2600XM if you want to use SSH or you want the ability to have 32 lines with the NM-32A.
    Both will require you to also buy the special octal cables that go from the HD50 connector to 8x RJ45 plugs.

There is also the 2511-RJ variant which just requires RJ45 rollover cables that you can crimp yourself. It only has 1 async/async serial port however instead of the 2 that the regular 2511 has.

A 2511 will run SSH if you get a specific version of IOS but it is slowwwwwwwwwwwwww.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I just did these my self. I went with the 2610, NM-16A and 1 Octal cable to start. I looked into the 2511 but I was able to build this access server for the same money and get more functionality out of it. YMMV.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Looks like I'm better off going with the slot module is this a newer technology.

But what are the pros and cons of running the access server on one the router I use for lab practice vs. getting a dedicated access server such as 2511?

Is this the cable I need?

Cisco 8 RJ45 Octal Octopus cable for 2509-2512 6 ft 2m - eBay (item 320343009364 end time Feb-26-09 14:44:39 PST)

Do I plug this on my devices con 0? just want to verify and make sure.

I think NM-16A should be good enough right? for CCNP lab? I don't think I'll be needing to simultaneously power 32 device if I ended that route.
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    phantasm wrote: »
    I just did these my self. I went with the 2610, NM-16A and 1 Octal cable to start. I looked into the 2511 but I was able to build this access server for the same money and get more functionality out of it. YMMV.

How much did it run you? The NM-16A's I see on ebay are far from cheap.
  • Options

They're pretty pricey, but I know a company that if it has a bad port they consider it bad and the boneyard it goes its still usable though, I asked him to look for a nm-32a, the price will almost be free if he finds one.
  • Options
    yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    jbaello wrote: »
    They're pretty pricey, but I know a company that if it has a bad port they consider it bad and the boneyard it goes its still usable though, I asked him to look for a nm-32a, the price will almost be free if he finds one.

Well you're lucky.
  • Options
    Well you're lucky.

If I'm successful I'll post my source.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

The NM-16A was $200, the 2610 with a T1 card was $30 and the cable was $23. THe 16 port 2511's I've seen have all been around $280+.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    The NM-16A was $200, the 2610 with a T1 card was $30 and the cable was $23. THe 16 port 2511's I've seen have all been around $280+.

Looks like it's good to do the slot module since you get to choose a better router that can run newer IOS to support telnet/ssh and perhaps other functionality you might required, maybe tacacs etc :P if the line supports it.