Wireless office advice

EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im looking into installing some wireless access points in the office I work and wanted to know if anyone have any recommendations.

I work for a law firm and we currently have one wireless router (not connected to our network, connects directly to a firewall) setup in a conference room for clients needing internet connectivity.

We are considering providing wireless connectivity for everyone, our office is a rectangular shape approx. 210 feet X 36 feet. I was think about maybe 2 or 3 access points with a couple of range extenders. Any suggestions

Comments

• macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    How many computers will be using the wireless? Depending on how many you might be able to get away with one good one.
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't foresee any more than 10 users at the same time. It will mostly be used by partners (14) and clients when they come in needing internet access.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you need more than one access point, id reccommend implementing microsofts RRAS RADIUS server and adding each one as a device to that. This way, the connections get authorised at the servers rather than directly connect to the access points. I was going to do this for my place, but because of the budgets i cant yet!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    If you need more than one access point, id reccommend implementing microsofts RRAS RADIUS server and adding each one as a device to that. This way, the connections get authorised at the servers rather than directly connect to the access points. I was going to do this for my place, but because of the budgets i cant yet!

Our need is just to have clients access the net (maybe for email or VPN into their company networks). The access points will be connected to our PIX 501 and the PIX is connected to our ISP. Maybe Im wrong but I don't think we want and/or need users to authenticate.

But we will have it password protected.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In that case then you probaly wont need to go as far as adding a RADIUS server. RADIUS servers use the 802.x specification, and each access point has the same security details. When i say this, i mean they all have the same SSID, same password and same authentication type. An advantage of having a RADIUS setup is that you can define policies for the connections to each AP from a central location, rather than going to each AP and defining security per device.

You more than likely wont need anything more than 1x g based AP. It might be worth adding an antenna to the AP to increase the area.

hope this helps you make a decision :)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would agree that you implement a RADIUS setup. Being a law office I can only imagine some of the things that would pass through the wifi. Very easy for someone to snag that info and make use of it. One access point should do it for you and very easy to manage. Can make guest accounts for the clients so they can log on and you can change the password each time it used. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This may sound like an odd suggestion to some but have you looked at the apple airport extreme? Its actually a pretty tight little piece of hardware. It handles RADIUS, 802.1x, LEAP, PEAP and a few other options it can handle WEP, WPA/WPA2 and supports b,g,and n. If you need to cover a large space you can configure a couple airport express units to work as extenders. As a plus the express units have an ether port so you can get some bridge functionality if you need to plug in a printer or such. It is easy to config and reliability has been stellar.
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Why not just throw a Linksys router and install DD-WRT on it?

DD-WRT :: News
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds like all you need is to set up a Linksys or Netgear router as a Wi-Fi hotspot. It's its own firewall, works with VPNs, and authentication, access control, and QoS is optional. I wouldn't run any more network traffic through that tiny PIX 501 than you absolutely need to.