Options

In what state, city you get the best IT salary ?

nasunasu Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
As the title says I would like to know in which state is the highest demand on IT especially between Florida and California, which cities.

I mean the network and system administrator also the network security experts jobs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Between Florida and California? That's a pretty big area to cover. Salaries will vary greatly depending on local economy and cost of living. There is no "If you want a 6 figure job then move here" type of answer.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    also remember the standard of living also...doesn't matter how much u make if u spend more than 50% of ur salary on rent!!!
  • Options
    nasunasu Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that`s true of course. I want to see more ppl posting from their own experience.

Thank you
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I have to agree with phantasm here, there is a wide range of area to cover and it's not as simple as comparing California to Florida. Cali is YUGE and the wages from region to region will vary wildly, as will the cost of living. How far you're willing to travel & what types of companies you want to work for will play into factoring in the "best" places to move job-wise, as well as if you want to live in a more urban or suburban environment. Also, keep the whole natural disasters thing in mind...do you want to take your chances with a possible earthquake OR do you prefer to go up against mother nature in hurricane form?? ;)

I don't have links or specific sources to quote, but I have heard that southern Cali is going strong job-wise for IT.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While any input I can offer from the state of Wisconsin will really be rather pointless since there is so much more to salary other than city and state, especially given that we have no idea what your skillset is, because network administration, system administration, and security is extremely broad.

What I can offer as input is at some point in my life 4 or 5 years ago, I stopped caring how much a person could make in one region compared to another region and I started to care about what I could do to maximize my income in my current region. What it really comes down to isn't a higher or lower salary, you can get the salary you desire anywhere if you put the effort into achieving that. The region might make it a bit easier if there are more jobs available and that's about it. The general reason you see such a wide range of "average" salaries for various jobs from region to region really comes down to a cost of living thing. I could probably earn a higher salary doing exactly what I do now elsewhere, but I would probably have a higher mortgage, higher utilities, higher gas prices, who knows what.

My advice is to live where you live because you like everything the area has to offer, you will get a competitive salary anywhere if you work hard for it. If you really want answers to your questions you might get some from people here but it's going to be such a wide range of answers I suspect it wouldn't help you any.