Options

getting the boss off my back, need a cert

ab_devab_dev Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone,

I've been told I need to have a certification under my belt by management (not in those words but you know..) Good thing is I have my choice of any exam. Nonetheless, I don't really want to be tested.

Question: What's regarded by the community as being the 'easiest exams' or 'most passed'. I know easy is a relative term.

my background: db driven web development

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Given your background, I'd check out CIW: Certified Internet Web Professional | CIW-certified.com

What technologies do you use? MySQL/PHP, ASP/C#/MS SQL, etc.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    ab_devab_dev Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the welcome dynamik!

I use php & postgres / mssql & bsd

Can someone recommend the best practice exam for the CIW associate ( 1D0-510) - testk, official CIW online etc...
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    ab_dev wrote: »
    thanks for the welcome dynamik!

I use php & postgres / mssql & bsd

Can someone recommend the best practice exam for the CIW associate ( 1D0-510) - testk, official CIW online etc...

Using a braindump like testk is illegal. If you get caught using one, you could ruin your chances of getting certs for life. You can always use Certguard.com to check if a source is a braindump or not.

CertGuard - Exam Security & Integrity
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't view having to become certified as a negative. You will be more marketable after certification (assuming you don't use a **** like testk that you mentioned). Assuming your employer is forcing you to certify, I would also assume they are paying for it - I sure wish I had this "problem" at work :)
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wouldn't view having to become certified as a negative. You will be more marketable after certification (assuming you don't use a **** like testk that you mentioned). Assuming your employer is forcing you to certify, I would also assume they are paying for it - I sure wish I had this "problem" at work :)

Me too icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    my employer has a road map for employee certifications and I see the employees without certs blow up about having to get certifications. Some feel that they don't like the office telling them how to spend their personal time because obviously you can't just study at work all day. Some others feel that they are a waste of time. Others are just lazy.

The key though, is that it doesn't matter if they tell you what to do in your spare time, what value you place on the certs, or if you're just lazy. What matters is that the employer demands it and you have an obligation to oblige.

If you go into getting a cert with a negative viewpoint you will hate it, it will seem like it takes forever, and you may just give up. On the other hand, if you embrace the fact that your employer is probably willing to fund your education and you'll probably come out of it with more knowledge than you had before, you'll be fine.

I suggest you reevaluate how you feel about certifications. I have been in management situations before and nothing makes a manager less pleased than seeing a complete lack of interest in any facet of work.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ab_dev wrote: »
    Question: What's regarded by the community as being the 'easiest exams' or 'most passed'. I know easy is a relative term.

A+ certification is the 'easiest' in my opinion. :)

Security+ is relatively easy also.

I don't know if they would let you do such low-level certs since they may not be 'tailored' to your position.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    MAXIMUM HAHAMAXIMUM HAHA Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Given your background, I'd check out CIW: Certified Internet Web Professional | CIW-certified.com

What technologies do you use? MySQL/PHP, ASP/C#/MS SQL, etc.

Welcome to the forums :D

I just took this one last week. (just found out that the CIW Assoc 4 I had expired)
    I work in networking so the network portion was straight forward. The worst part for me was XHTML, HTML, & Cascading Style Sheets but O'Reilly books helped alot.