Options

RAID5 for home

Hi guys. I'm looking at a basic 3 disk RAID5 for home usage, something like a Buffalo etc.

The drives need to be hot swappable and if the main board fails I need to be able to just drop the drives in another identical casing to get things running asap.

Anything anyone can recommend? Not looking to spend too much to be fair, but not to the point where reliability isn't almost perfect, i.e. no cheap imports off eBay icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    I know this is in the wrong section now but does anyone know what I could get?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    I've given up on the whole RAID5 idea now but cheers for link. I think i'm just going to get a HP ML110 as this has integrated RAID1 and is only £185! Cheaper and better specced than most Desktop PCs and I will also just set an xcopy up to mirror to an external USB drive that I can take offsite. Jobs a good un!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    There are tons of boards that support RAID-0, 1, 5, 10 on-board. You could just load up linux with Samba if that's all you're looking for. I thought you wanted a separate device.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've never found these fake RAID controllers to be particularly reliable. Either go for software RAID built into the OS or a proper hardware RAID card.
  • Options
    In terms of performance or the RAID not actually working? I've replaced a few drives in these types of arrays and have never had a problem.