Options

New computer. Deciding on parts. (VMWare, GNS3, some games)

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide on parts. I would like to spend under 1200 dollars on a new computer. I don't need a monitor, mouse, or keyboard.

I'd like to play some games(not the newest though, just cs once a week).

I'd like VMWare and GNS3 to be the driving force behind what I buy. That is actually how I am justifying making this purchase. I want to move on to the CCNA Security and CCNP(eventually), but I don't really feel like spending a ton on a lab. That's why I want to use GNS3, and thus need a better computer.

So, I'd truly like an Intel based CPU but I'm not sure whether I should get Dual or Quad Core.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

The above are the 3 processors that I have been looking at.

Beyond that I really don't know what to go with. I know about components, but there are so many these days that it is hard to know where the start.

If you could give me any ideas then that would be great. Also, I think I will use Vista so I can increase the amount of RAM supported. I have a copy already from my school, so that does not need to be included in the cost.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

That is the MOBO I think. Expandable to 16GB of Memory is a good plus on this one, and I think it works with a quad core cpu
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    nevolved wrote: »
    That's why I want to use GNS3, and thus need a better computer.
    You don't need a particularly amazing computer to run GNS3/dynamips.
    So, I'd truly like an Intel based CPU but I'm not sure whether I should get Dual or Quad Core.
    Get Core i7. Not the older Core 2. You'll be paying more though for the motherboard and RAM however as you need to get DDR3.
    Also, I think I will use Vista so I can increase the amount of RAM supported.
    Only if you're running the 64 bit version. The regular 32 bit version still maxes out at around 3GB. The exact value you get depends on what hardware you've got in your PC. The more MMIO devices e.g. graphics cards and the larger the MMIO region is then the less RAM you get.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Go for the Core i7 cpu and get DDR3. It's up to you if you want to go with 3GB or 6GB triple channel DDR3, if want 6GB then you'll want to get Vista 64.

Core i7 needs it's own type of motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

As for the video card, I'd look at either a 4850 or 4830, Nvidia needs to get their act together for mainstream cards before they are a player in that market again. Relabeling is just lame icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    $79.99

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    $109.98
    ($54.99 each)

SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    $169.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    $99.99

2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    $109.98
    ($54.99 each)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $134.99

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9400
    $229.99

Subtotal: $934.91

Is the I7 that much better?

That is what I have so far, does anyone see any problems? I'm going to put the HDDs in RAID0. Should this be killer fast?
  • Options
    Is the I7 that much better?
    Yes. It is the first Intel x86 CPU that has a built in memory controller. The Core i7 in particular has 3 memory channels.
    That is what I have so far, does anyone see any problems? I'm going to put the HDDs in RAID0. Should this be killer fast?
    Hope you're going to backup your data every day if so. If either drive dies or has an issue then your data is toast.
  • Options
    Talic wrote: »
    As for the video card, I'd look at either a 4850 or 4830, Nvidia needs to get their act together for mainstream cards before they are a player in that market again. Relabeling is just lame icon_sad.gif
    Last time I checked, the latest GeForce 200 cards were faster than the equivalent ATI ones. What do you mean by relabeling?
  • Options
    Ok RAID1 is definitely a better idea now that I think of it...write speed won't matter that much to me anyhow
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok RAID1 is definitely a better idea now that I think of it...write speed won't matter that much to me anyhow

It should if you plan on having a decent number of VMs. Why don't you get four smaller/cheaper drives and get the best of both worlds with RAID-10?
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    tiersten wrote: »
    Last time I checked, the latest GeForce 200 cards were faster than the equivalent ATI ones. What do you mean by relabeling?

The mainstream cards are relabeled, anything except for 260 and 280 are older cards. Like the 9800 series and such.

You're getting a 4870 to play CS once a week? Think thats a bit overkill :) My old 1900XTX even handled Left 4 Dead pretty well.

Go for the i7, look at the benchmarks if you want to see why:
    New Hit from Remake King: Intel Core i7 Review - X-bit labs
    AnandTech: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S: A New 65W Quad-Core
  • Options
    Talic wrote: »
    The mainstream cards are relabeled, anything except for 260 and 280 are older cards. Like the 9800 series and such.
    The 9800 is just a refresh of the 8800 series with a few minor tweaks here and there. Everybody does this though. Shrink the die and its another brand new product.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll go against those suggesting the i7 and suggest going with a quad-core Core2 rig if money is tight. For what you are going to be using it for, you really wouldn't recognize any benefit from the i7 IMO. If I spec out parts on Newegg for the cheapest i7 cpu/mobo/ram which was the i7 920, some lower end MSI mobo, and crucial memory (8gb) it was 598.94. If I spec out a Core2Quad Q9550, what I consider a more reliable motherboard (Intel DQ35JOE) from my own experience, and crucial memory (8gb) it's 484.97. The rest of your components won't really change from one config to the other so you can save a bit over $100 with the Core2 route. Sure you won't be on the bleeding edge with the i7, but will the extra money spent buy you more than maybe a bit of time before you replace the hardware again, I doubt it.

I have two Core2 based quad-core rigs with 8gb ram in my lab, either of them can handle 8-12 VM's easily (haven't had a reason to run more than that) on top of Server 2008 Datacenter under Hyper-V. In addition prior to having the lab setup, my main desktop (E7500 with 8gb ram) has been able to run (on accident) 5 VM's as well as playing Warhammeer Online at maximum settings without a noticeable impact on performance. I would personally save the money, I could have gone i7 for a bit more but I didn't think I needed that performance for what I intended to do. The other factor for me is I really wouldn't have had much faith in the i7 motherboards available (regardless of reviews) until you got into the $250ish Intel brand motherboard. I'm just very partial to Intel brand boards even if they cost more or if they don't have as many features that many gamers look for (overclocking mostly) because they have always seemed to be more solid and reliable to me.

If it were me putting this together:

CPU: Q9550
    Mobo: Intel DQ35JOE
    Memory: Inexpensive 8GB (Crucial, Kingston, etc)
    Case: Whatever you desire, I'd go with something allowing for a smaller OS drive and 4 drives for VM's in RAID 10
    Optical: Cheapo DVD-RW
    Hard Drives: Seagate is what I prefer, probably 5 160's (1 OS and 4 in RAID 10 for VM's).
    PSU: I've had good luck with antec/coolermaster/enermax, take your pick really though.
    Video card: Anything half-way decent will play CS: Source, don't search for this or you may be led to think you need a 1GB card.