Options

Home lab setup for ccna questions

shmishshmish Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I've been reading through this forum and have found a ton of useful information. I have a few questions about setting up a home lab, sometimes it's a bit hard to get my head wrapped around all of this. I was thinking about getting:
2x 2950 switches
1x 2610XM router
and one other router

Not wanting to waste money, but I'm not sure where I'll end up after ccna (ie ccnp, ccsp, or maybe nothing). Considering this, what should I get for a 2nd router? another 2610XM, 3640, or something less expensive like a 2514?

For each 2610XM, I would need (2) WIC-1T?
For a 3640 I would need some type of NM, maybe a NM-1E2W (1 or 2)?

Finally, does it make sense to buy only 1 router and then use dynamips to save some money? Sorry, I don't know much about dynamips yet so maybe it's impossible to mix it with real hardware. I would want at least 1 real router to use hands-on.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    4 letters GNS3
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think what you have in mind sounds good. I actually just bought...
    2x WS-2950T-24 switches which have enhanced images and
    1x 2620XM Router (I'm still waiting on what money will allow for my other router also)
    Just make sure when you get your XM router is has atleast 128/32 of memory so you can support the SDM feature and that will also support IPv6.
    To me nothing beats hands on with the actual hardware thats why I bought what I did, but for more complex labs I'll probably use the GNS3 software due to lack of money for a home lab.
    The Cisco Kits link on this site has a lot of helpful info when learning what to buy for a home lab.
  • Options
    How much did the switches and 2620xm cost you, and did you get an interface for the 2620xm?

I'm definitely going to check out GNS3 too.

cheers
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    This is what my lab is comprised of. The 3550 is a layer 3 and is overkill for the CCNA, but I plan on pursuing my CCNP afterwards. YYMV.

HomeLab.jpg
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dang phantasm! I wish I had that kinda money to put into a lab!
    shmish wrote: »
    How much did the switches and 2620xm cost you, and did you get an interface for the 2620xm?

I just made sure my 2620xm had a WIC-1T serial interface and I'll make sure the other router has one also. As long as I can make a serial connection between the routers I can do some routing and practice! :)
  • Options
    msethk wrote: »
    Dang phantasm! I wish I had that kinda money to put into a lab!

I just made sure my 2620xm had a WIC-1T serial interface and I'll make sure the other router has one also. As long as I can make a serial connection between the routers I can do some routing and practice! :)

Thank you for the compliment. I've built this over a 5 yr period. I've phased out a few 2500's and replaced them with the 2600xm's. The 2610 is new within the last 2 weeks. It was a pain to keep switching console cables. I'd like to phase out all 2500's eventually and have at a minimum only 2600xm's. But my pockets don't go that far down. I get alot of hands on at work with 6500's and 7600 series as well.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cool diagram Phantasm

What did you use to make it?

Smish, your lab is looking good so far

2500's are a good low-cost way to lab up serial connections. Most models have 2 serial interfaces.

If you go with 2500'S, you might want to get at least one serial card for your 2600's so they can connect to your 2500's. Or you can connect the 2500's to the 2600's via your switch with CAT5 patch cables (most 2500's will need an AUI transceiver to connect to a modern switch, but the cost is usually only $5-10).

You'll need serial cables - Cisco actually still has a current web page with a guide to the 2500 cables

Serial Cable Connection Guide - Cisco Systems

Post back if you need more info
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Cool diagram Phantasm

What did you use to make it?

Visio 2007. The only product from Office 2007 I like. lol.
  • Options
    I'm 1/2 way there, I picked up a 2950 and a 2611 w/ WIC-1T today. I'm hoping to get another 2950 and 2600XM variant, do I just make sure that I also get a WIC-1T? Or are there any other modules that I should look at getting?

thanks
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    look out on ebay for 2503's and cables .. they are rediculously cheap and although fairly useles passed ccna, for the price, they could come in quite handy on the ccna.
    Kam.