Options

Just got laid off

MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just laid off from an amazing company, I have another opportunity lined up on April 6 but I really don't won't to wait five weeks to start working again plus its a 8 month contract. My friend just informed me that a opportunity just came up with the city I reside in and she is the director of one of the departments their at the city, she informed that she would give my resume to the director of technology, so I don't know how much leverage she could provide for me to get a leg up on other applicants, any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Hang in there Meast. You got a degree & certs + experience, so you call the shots. You do have a leg up , but I would not get my hopes up. You should apply to everything you feel qualified for if possible relocate. Also, whatever you do don't bulls**t on your resume. It 's alright to not know everything.

Good luck ; )
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I'm sorry to read about what happened. At my brother's job with Motorola, last week the whole tier 1 and tier 2 got laid off, with the exception of my brother and some other guy. It's happening everywhere! You're actually blessed to have a guaranteed job in April. It took me 7 months to find another job, and some people take a year to find work.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man, I am sorry to hear about that happening to you. At my current job, given the state of the economy and such, some people don't get it. This may lead you into a position that may not have otherwise come about. You may be able to capitalise on someone else's misfortune's or mistakes. As pointed out, you have many things working to your advantage, so don't give up. Just don't be afraid to take chances.

It's hard to stay upbeat in this type of sitaution, but when you get hired on somewhere, you usually look back and realize that the stressing out and such didn't get you anywhere and you ended up at a job you probably didn't even know existed before hand. Just remember, as long as you are breathing, it's not a total loss. Not sure what part of FL you are in, but PM me and I may be able to help. I know quite a few people and even our divisions with my current employer. You never know. Either way , good luck and keep us posted.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Having your resume come from an insider already gives you a huge leg up on the competition. Next step would be to make sure you know the job inside and out so that when you get the interview you can nail it right on the spot. Something else that would help is if you have an awesome reference let them know about this job and see if they can call ahead to put a good word in for you. I hope something works out well for you! I'm in my 3rd month of searching since being let go. The competition out there is pretty fierce since I hear of positions here receiving 200-300 resumes, but don't let that get you down. Having an insider gets your resume an almost guaranteed look. It's awesome that you've already got something lined up for April too if you don't find something earlier. Don't forget to also take this opportunity to bolster some of your skills. Don't panic and good luck!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about the lay off, congrats on finding *something* for next month even if it is temporary, and good luck with the other prospect. I think you will do fine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Waiting until April sure beats having no leads at all. And, like others mentioned, having a resume hand-carried over to the hiring manager helps your chances immensely. Especially if the person talked you up and highly recommended you.

Good luck with both.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    MeastMeast Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the added support, its just drives you crazy when you're around the house with nothing to do besides studying for certs!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Meast wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the added support, its just drives you crazy when you're around the house with nothing to do besides studying for certs!
    I hear you, it's enough to drive you mad. But you just have a few weeks to kill, so keep yourself busy & keep your mind occupied/sharp and you'll do okay.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know that it takes some people a long time to find another job sometimes, and I remember the last time that I was searching for a job, I was searching for about 5/6 months.
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well besides looking for jobs, and studying for certs, see if you can start up some other interests as well. Out of shape? try exercising with walks, jobs, bike rides, etc. Have that digital camera collecting dust? Get out and try your hand at photography at other than the canned family shots. Check the net for new and interesting meals to try, maybe you'll find you enjoy cooking. Gotta keep yourself occupied so you dont slip into a book coma and not come out.
  • Options
    nasunasu Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    which city in Florida are u in ?
  • Options
    The way that I look at it is that at the moment you still have a job, your job is looking for a new job, you have to give it your absolute best, you should work on it from 9-5, like you would a normal working day.
  • Options
    Hows it going Meast, have you managed to find anything yet?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Meast wrote: »
    I was just laid off from an amazing company, I have another opportunity lined up on April 6 but I really don't won't to wait five weeks to start working again plus its a 8 month contract. My friend just informed me that a opportunity just came up with the city I reside in and she is the director of one of the departments their at the city, she informed that she would give my resume to the director of technology, so I don't know how much leverage she could provide for me to get a leg up on other applicants, any thoughts?

Hang in there. My company closed in September of 08 and I thought I was going to lose my job. Luckily they contracted me out for a few months. After applying to about 50 jobs, I got lucky and found something permanent. Keep your head up.