Facebookers beware!

shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
An interesting article of a second wave for the worm Koobface surfacing on Facebook...

Koobface worm to users: Be my Facebook friend

Comments

• skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw that this morning on Microtrend.com I emailed it to our entire department to notify campus.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The pointy heads in the corner offices have mandated that we open up access to facebook, just last week. We can scream from the rooftops about the security issues all day long, falls on deaf ears. Ugh.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's why we don't use FB...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually hope this one causes some significant issues for us. I work in real estate, and the higher up have been pushing social networking, namely Facebook, BIG time as the "NEXT BIG THING, THE FUTURE" to gain leads to all of our agents... they have been blindly following.

I'll gladly sacrifice hours of my precious time dealing with issues this may cause in order to say that this is just one reason why pushing Facebook as a marketing tool for agents was a big waste of time (besides the hopeful obvious reason of who in their right mind would attempt to locate a real estate agent through Facebook).
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    The applications uploaded to Facebook are not checked in any way by the site's owners for malicious code. It's not nearly as dangerous as unrestricted ActiveX controls in IE, but it certainly makes FB a huge platform for Malware distribution. FB's owners seem to want the FB community to police itself, but I don't think the "I'm looking for my old high school friends" crowd is technically sophisticated enough to do that.