Options

Need some advice!

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Okay, I got this email for some work, which I need. Now, I havnt setup a network in multiple buidlings before, but from what I know, I should use a WAN right? With VPN, Frame Relay or MPLS. Which I havnt used yet ):,, I understand them for the most part, but what do you guys recommend. (#1,#4)

Edit: Also what about a T1 line?

Also for #3 what do you think he means? This for some lawyer guy.

" I am facing the following issues:

1) linking my field office with my main office downtown (scheduling/financial/operating/etc)
2) I bought a used computer system that I don't have the password for. All of the original software upgrades are installed on it, and may work if reinstalled.
3) I am interested in, maybe, setting up my website to host work records.
4) If the system mentioned in #2, can be straightened out, then need to set it up, if not, then will need to install new software on it and get it networked... "
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    #1 depends on how he currenlty accesses the Internet for both offices. Assuming it's a business DSL connection, I would set up a site-to-site VPN using matching SOHO router/firewall devices. These run about $400 usually, although maybe a standard modern-day Linksys or D-Link can do VPNs nowadays I dont know. That would be much cheaper.

If it's only a few (2-5) workstations in the remote office, you could set up a client VPN connection on each one and have them remote in to his main office server (if he has one) or router/firewall (if he has one and it is compatible with a PPTP or MS IPSec VPN).

More expensive options would be a point-to-point leased line like a T-1. Depends on his budget, needs, and current connectivity really.

#3 I think he means hosting work related documents on his website so he can access them from anywhere using a browser. Depending on the nature of the documents this may be a security issue. He could do it using a password protected directory and SSL encryption, but it really depends.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depending on what the line is going to be used for, you'll have different needs based on that, ie general internet use, or is it more of transfering of confidential files (if thats the case, ideally you'll want a vpn tunnel between two offices), maybe they want videoconferencing, again - all depends on the needs of customer.

A T1 line is relatively expensive for the amount of bandwidth you'll get, for example, the ISP/telco we deal with charges us $720 monthly to rent a T1 line (1.5Mbps up/down).

Alternatively, you may be able to get by with a business package from the ISP for cheaper DSL or cable with higher downloads, uploads - each having their own technologies pros/cons.

As for that #3 option, first thing that pops to mind is he trying to have a database of his work records or something? Who is he trying to share with? Remote users or just within the two offices? To elaborate further, maybe have a server to host all those - maybe purchase an ASA for wherever that server may be and set up a clientless SSL VPN for the traveling/remote users?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Knives Out wrote: »
    A T1 line is relatively expensive for the amount of bandwidth you'll get, for example, the ISP/telco we deal with charges us $720 monthly to rent a T1 line (1.5Mbps up/down).

Alternatively, you may be able to get by with a business package from the ISP for cheaper DSL or cable with higher downloads, uploads - each having their own technologies pros/cons.
    The advantage of a leased line like a T1 is that you usually get a proper SLA with it and the speeds are guaranteed. If you're paying for 1.544Mbps up and down then you're going to get 1.544Mbps up and down.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The advantage of a leased line like a T1 is that you usually get a proper SLA with it and the speeds are guaranteed. If you're paying for 1.544Mbps up and down then you're going to get 1.544Mbps up and down.
    The SLA is usually the key, depending on how important that connection link is to your business downtime could hurt the bottom line. The local telco (last mile) here offers "Routed ADSL" which you can think of as a basic 1.5Mbps ADSL link privately routed between two or more sites for about $400/mo - but the SLA means they will work their ass off to get it back up in a matter of hours if there is a problem. Compare that to traditional DSL links of ~$50-100/mo with an SLA that usually reads "when we get around to it" (I've seen places where the link has been out for 3-5 days before they finally dispatched someone.

Like others said, it's all dependent on the clients needs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys~!~

lol... is it bad i need to learn how to setup a vpn and tunnel? ROFL
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not at all. Be glad you have an opportunity to learn new things :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2) I bought a used computer system that I don't have the password for. All of the original software upgrades are installed on it, and may work if reinstalled.

If this is a Windows system you can pop a copy of Ophcrack (Ophcrack) and get the password. Might take a little time, but gotta be better then doing a total reinstall!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Okay, heres some more details.

It would be a new network setup... Let me give you a little more detail: I bought a bar last June and I want to be able to access the point-of-sale info from the bars computer from my law office, unless its going to be a big pain in the ass. The upgrades I am talking about is the upgrades of the point of sale software... Even to get a password to be able to use the point of sale stuff would be a great thing. We can use the point of sale software, but the management portion of it is locked out by password, and the bar that sold it to me didn't tell me that. They don't have the password either because they bought it that way... The point-of-sale software is called positouch... I have lots of tech issues that I just don't have the time to deal with myself... it definately sounds like you know what you're doing...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    pLuhhmm wrote: »
    It would be a new network setup... Let me give you a little more detail: I bought a bar last June and I want to be able to access the point-of-sale info from the bars computer from my law office, unless its going to be a big pain in the ass. The upgrades I am talking about is the upgrades of the point of sale software... Even to get a password to be able to use the point of sale stuff would be a great thing. We can use the point of sale software, but the management portion of it is locked out by password, and the bar that sold it to me didn't tell me that. They don't have the password either because they bought it that way... The point-of-sale software is called positouch... I have lots of tech issues that I just don't have the time to deal with myself... it definately sounds like you know what you're doing...
    Could be anything as it is proprietory software. You'll just have to dig around yourself.

Sounds a bit odd to me. How can you use a POS system for that long without actually being able to do any management functions?
  • Options
    Point of Sale - Software, Systems, Hardware, POSitouch - Restaurant, Register, Display

You could try to contact them and see if they have any record of a purchase from the bar, if so maybe you can find out if there is a default password or perhaps a way to reset the password, or at the very least, back up the data, reinstall the software with a new password, and then restore any data.

The only way I can think of (not being familiar with POS systems) to access the data remotely would be if the POS ran on a Windows platform, you could set up a Remote Desktop connection.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    It probably is a standard password that's on file with the Positouch...and if not, then they likely will have it on file in their records from the original installation.

sprkymrk is probably right too - if it's a typical simple POS system setup, it's likely a regular computer with the proprietary software installed on it and you can just remote into it to get access to the info you want. But it will definitely take a password to get into the management functions of the software, and hopefully Positouch will be able to help out with that.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    lololol... I was reading your guys comments and I saw POS and was thinking to myself... POS system? As in Piece of Sh!t lmao. But okay, Ill try what you guys suggested.

Also, if I was to setup a VPN network for this, what do you think the degree of difficultly would be? It would be my first one that I would setup (I think, unless I did one in class and forgot...) Im gonna read up on it as well.

While Im here, what do you recommend for an estimate for this, payment wise?

Thanks!

And when did sprkymrk become a MOD o_O?
  • Options
    lololol... I was reading your guys comments and I saw POS and was thinking to myself... POS system? As in Piece of Sh!t lmao. But okay, Ill try what you guys suggested.

Point of Sale, Piece of ****, same thing basically. :p
    Also, if I was to setup a VPN network for this, what do you think the degree of difficultly would be?
    There are sooooo many ways to do this, it's impossible to tell from what little we know so far.

1. You could set up (or use an existing) server with RRAS at the bar, but a server license is around $800. However, clients would not need any additional software to connect. There are a lot of details in doing this just right as far as network interfaces, firewalls, dial-up or broadband, user accounts, etc.

2. You could look into a SOHO router that has VPN features.

3. You could see if you could simply setup a RDP session on the computer hosting the POS software.

4. I have never used them, but there are also free/cheap online services that allow you to remotely access your computer, such as GoToMyPC.

As always, cost, security, and ease of use will have to be factored in to any decision.

While Im here, what do you recommend for an estimate for this, payment wise?

Unfortunately it still all depends on the particular solution you use and how difficult it is to set up. Maybe get an hourly rate with a cap?

And when did sprkymrk become a MOD o_O?

Snuck up on you, didn't I? :)

I've been a mod for a couple years, just absent since the end of November through most of February. While I was gone, both JDmurray and mikej412 are proud to have exceeded my post count. icon_lol.gif