Options

CCNA on Resume

NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
To those who are studying CCNA or have the certification, what would you summarize the skills learned from this for use on a resume?

I was thinking...

Cisco IOS Configuration
Interior Routing Protocols
- RIP, EIGRP, OSPF
Switching
- VLANs, STP
WAN Connections
- Frame Relay, PPP
Security
- ACLs, NAT

I wouldn't think its necessary to put TCP/IP, IPv4 & 6, CIDR calculation etc?

I have some other stuff like IPSec, firewall security etc to add but is the above sufficient as far as CCNA goes?

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I wouldn't summarize the skills on a resume... The only skills I summarize on a resume are from work experience. Basically, just giving an overall summary on what your role was/is with a job.

Most employers seeking someone for an IT position should have a pretty good idea as to what to expect from someone with a particular certification.

Others here may disagree with me but that's my opinion and it's how I do it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't summarize the skills on a resume... The only skills I summarize on a resume are from work experience. Basically, just giving an overall summary on what your role was/is with a job.

I agree here. You shouldn't just list exam topics as skills on your resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 I don't put skills that are associated with certifications that I have.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would list them only if the position posting specifically states certain skills required/desired. Then you can list the ones that match the posting. This is what you should always do with job postings. Each resume you send out should be customized with your skills that match the job requirements, rather than a standard resume that tries to list everything you know.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    dwtherockdwtherock Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Megadeath

Post only what you have done if working with it. if no experience and you just have the new cert I would just go with mentioning the certification and put your objective/summary pointing to an opportunity to do more with your current exp/studies.

I am in the same boat as you but I have experience and this is what my most recent resume says (below industry wages I do the following):

X and Y Services department is responsible for securing the entire asset of the company with the world’s largest enclosed network video surveillance system.
    Maintain redundancy of network through two Cisco 6509e switches utilizing EIGRP and HSRP. Layer 3 establishes access and interVLAN routing via ip assignments of switched virtual interfaces and layer 2 trunks between core and access switches. Installs and configured Layer 2/3 switches on Gigabit Ethernet. Supports 75 end users in Active Directory for various applications. Create system documentation on all special case servers and network configurations. Use ACLs to define allowable resources for network administration and syslog logging. Industry exposure to different technologies and applications has enlarged concept to production ideas.

• Installs single mode fiber in IFS modules and point-to-point links.
    • Knowledge of WAN including configuring frame-relay, multipoint and point-to-point. Leased lines HDLC and PPP. PPP authentication.

Assigned special projects;
    • Eliminate on-call techs for bi-annual time change in Linux.
    o Rebuilt Linux image server to deploy new installs over the network.
    o Upgraded Master server for NTP management.
    • Redesign network video distribution switcher.

IP Addressing & Services – NAT/PAT, DHCP, NTP, DNS
    Network Management – SNMP, Syslog, Whats up
    User Access Security – ACLs, AAA, RADIUS, TACACS+, 802.1x, Privilege Levels, Views
    Firewall – Cisco IOS Firewall
    WAN – Frame Relay. PTP
    SOHO – ADSL, PPPoE, VPN, Cisco VPN Client
    Configuration Utilities – ROMMON, IOS CLI, Security Device Manager

You see where you can put technical skills but do it in a demonstrated experience or brief it like I did just to peak their interest. DO NOT GO ON FOR MORE THAN A FEW LINES OF TECH PROTOCOLS OR STANDARDS. You'll make their eyes roll back in their heads. Be more than a tool, be the wrench that holds the tool.

and one more thing

CERTIFICATIONS
    CCNA © Certified # CSCOXXXXXXXX
    CCNA 640-553 Security in progress
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certfication already stand by itself that you have the basic knowledge to meet that requirement. Skill usual something that you obtain from the working experience. If you put those skill set that you learned from certficiate which mean that you don't have any experience at all. Most recruiter will move those to the recycle bin.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, we were just making fun of a guys resume the other day who put "TCP/IP, CAT5" on his resume.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I see what you guys are saying, makes sense really. Glad I am doing a work placement as part of my degree so I actually have some specific skills to list!
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    If you have not actually used those skills in your work experience, what is the purpose of listing them? If you have used those skills in your work experience, then make sure to list them as they related to your experience.

Hope that helps.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Having the knowledge but not the experience could pose a real problem in writing a resume.My advice is to tailor your resume and make a way how to show your knowledge in a particular area. I've seen some resume format that list "Technical Proficiencies" or "Have knowlege" in the following then followed by "Professional experience" and the job description.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    If you have not actually used those skills in your work experience, what is the purpose of listing them? If you have used those skills in your work experience, then make sure to list them as they related to your experience.

Hope that helps.

As said I can see why it might be better to just list the cert as it speaks for itself.
  • Options
    NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You really should only put skills that you actually had experienced with on the resume not some you passed on a test icon_wink.gif