Options

BBA or MBA and IT: How Do They Mix, Positions Obtainable, Anyone With Experience?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
New memeber here.

I have a A.S. in Computer Networking, am currently pursuing a string of certs including Net+, CCENT, CCNA and MCSE, and Im also working on my AA to transfer to University of Florida to finish my Bachelors in business and then get my MBA right after. Ive been working in IT since beginning of 2005 including desktop support, networking and most recently access management and active directory.

My goal is to obtain a management position in IT, preferably in project management, and work my way up to an IT director and my dream is to be a CIO.

I am wondering if people have experience with business degrees and IT, either themselves or thier supervisors/managers and how helpful they are to advancing to your IT career to management when combined with IT experience and education.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    Mods, I just noticed I posted this in Off Topic and I should have posted in IT Jobs. Please move.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This question is asked often here, you might find some additional pearls of wisdom in some prior threads.

My opinion/experience with this topic is that the specific field of study is irrelevant. What matters most is where you went to school.

No offense intended to anyone, but any degree from a school with strong name recognition is more useful than "Bachelor of Science in Network Security (etc...) from Unknown and Easy to Get Into Online School". This doesn't mean that useful learning does or does not take place in either type of institution. What it does mean is that brand names often count for something. That and you will often make many high quality connections at better schools; sometimes your career success can be helped by the success of those that you know....

Of course nothing is a guarantee, and more often than not it's your individual motivation and effort that makes the difference in your career.

This particular topic can become quite heated (particularly if someone pops up and starts saying what a great school DeVry is!). You will get many diverse opinions on this topic from the members of this site; much of it will be useful. However, my advice to you is to ignore my opinion, as well as any additional opinions your receive in this thread.

Why? Because the best thing to do would be for you to read biographies/profiles of CIOs of companies that are in areas that interest you. The next step would be to then try to copy what made them successful. If you're looking for specific advice on education, look at what some current CIOs have done and then do this yourself...

Good luck,

MS
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eMeS has pointed out some good points, in my opinion.

I think you're plan is sound, it's similar to what I had in mind and your goals are similar to that of mine. I do agree with the name of the school being important, I wanted to get into a more traditional 4 year degree program even though it would have taken me much longer as I work full-time. My problem was since I didn't plan accordingly in high school, I did not meet the requirements to get into the school in my area I had in mind (University of Wisconsin - Madison). My alternate selection was a 3 year program through Herzing University (formerly Herzing College). The experience has been decent so far, some aspects of it I dislike but overall I've taken a lot away from it I think. Once I'm finished up there with my Bachelors in Technology Management (mostly a business degree with an IT concentration) I can then meet the requirements to get into UW Madison's MBA program.

As eMeS pointed out, I think you're best bet is to really just do some research on various CIO's out there and see what they have done to get where they are. I see absolutely no problem working towards IT director or similar management positions even with just a bachelors degree (at least in my area, based of relationships I have with several IT directors/senior IT managers).

One thing you might want to look up is an article in eWeek from a year or two back. They had an article I vaguely remember that was something like the 50 or 100 best CIO's. I don't believe they went into full detail of each CIO's qualifications and past experiences, but I do remember there being some profiles of a handful of CIO's in there. Otherwise you can also lookup better known CIO's online, there is bound to be plenty of documentation out there on them more than likely.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words and information eMeS and msteinhilber. eMes you pretty much have the same thought process as me.

See I made the mistake of not planning properly in high school and also I was scared of college so I went to a tech school and got my A.S. in Computer Networking. Its still better than having nothing but not good enough to me. That is why I decided to start over and Im working on finishing my AA and then I will be able to transfer to the University of Florida. UF is the most respected college down here in Florida (and current NCAA football champs icon_thumright.gif) and also are well known throughout the US. Their business college ranks consistently in the top 20 in every major business category and thier MBA was ranked like 34th or something in the recent rankings.

Its a good idea to research profiles on various CIO's and see what thier education and work backgrounds are so I will definitely do that.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    The reaons mentioned above are why after I finish my B.S. degree I will be going to a "brick and mortar" school for an advanced degree. Name recognition is important. It wasn't long ago we had a thread here that ruffled feathers about schools such as DeVry compared to state schools in quality of education and recognition.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster!

I think you plan is definitely doable.

Though I didn't necessarily plan it that way, I have taken a similar path myself. I have a B.B.A. from a small school and recent changed careers to IT as a network technician for a health services company.

I think having a background in business can be very helpful while working in IT. It's helped me develop a great relationship with our IT director (also an BBA). Business knowledge is definitely not a subsitute for technical expertise, but it's certainly a great complement, especially if your goal is to work in IT management.

The one suggestion I would offer is that you may want to wait a while between your BBA and your MBA. If you aren't careful, you may end up over-education for your level of experience...and if you're lucky, you'll find a great company who's willing to pay for some portion of the MBA later!
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    pml1 wrote: »

Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    pml1 wrote: »

I think you plan is definitely doable.

Though I didn't necessarily plan it that way, I have taken a similar path myself. I have a B.B.A. from a small school and recent changed careers to IT as a network technician for a health services company.

I think having a background in business can be very helpful while working in IT. It's helped me develop a great relationship with our IT director (also an BBA). Business knowledge is definitely not a subsitute for technical expertise, but it's certainly a great complement, especially if your goal is to work in IT management.

The one suggestion I would offer is that you may want to wait a while between your BBA and your MBA. If you aren't careful, you may end up over-education for your level of experience...and if you're lucky, you'll find a great company who's willing to pay for some portion of the MBA later!

Hi pml1, I totally agree with the experience aspect of the MBA but I actually have been working fulltime professionally since I was 19 and Im now 27 this month. So I actually have had about 4 years of professional/business experience and 4 years of IT experience the past 4 years. I will actually be in an ideal situation by the time I start my MBA which estimating should be Jan 2012 as I will have 10 years of total professional work experience and be 30 years old. I remember reading on UF's website that thier average MBA candidate is 27 years old and like 7 years of experience.

I also hope by then I can get my company to pay for an Executive MBA which would be even more helpful in getting to CIO than a regular MBA.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Hi pml1, I totally agree with the experience aspect of the MBA but I actually have been working fulltime professionally since I was 19 and Im now 27 this month. So I actually have had about 4 years of professional/business experience and 4 years of IT experience the past 4 years. I will actually be in an ideal situation by the time I start my MBA which estimating should be Jan 2012 as I will have 10 years of total professional work experience and be 30 years old. I remember reading on UF's website that thier average MBA candidate is 27 years old and like 7 years of experience.

I also hope by then I can get my company to pay for an Executive MBA which would be even more helpful in getting to CIO than a regular MBA.

Well, that's even better! Sounds like you've got a great plan!
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.