Options

Managerial Madness

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I have heard it all now, our MD has banned anyone in IT to use the phrase "Users" when discussing the employees (users) because it annoys him and he thinks it`s not politically correct, How stupid is this, so do i send Microsoft a letter asking them to change every existance of the word "Users" in every manual they make? Oh and while they are at it, also change the AD!!!! Does anyone else work under idiots!!

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had a manager many many years ago that wanted us to set up something to detect when someone was logged onto a production vs. test machine...not too hard...but then he wanted us to "automatically" figure out when they were about to enter a command that they should not enter in the production environment, and intercept said command and send it to the bit bucket.

MS
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol.

I do, but they just leave me alone since i told them i was going to leave ;) They know theyre screwed without me. Whats your position?icon_thumright.gif
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I have heard it all now, our MD has banned anyone in IT to use the phrase "Users" when discussing the employees (users) because it annoys him and he thinks it`s not politically correct, How stupid is this, so do i send Microsoft a letter asking them to change every existance of the word "Users" in every manual they make? Oh and while they are at it, also change the AD!!!! Does anyone else work under idiots!!

His time would surely be better spent plotting a path through the current economic woes, but yes this sort of thing is fairly common in my experience.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think your manager is a user
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They're users here, whether they like it or not. I guess that makes us the pushers! :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Tell him you'd be happy to change all the user accounts to iOrgPerson accounts. 45 mins per account to recreate the account and change existing permissions on home folders and groups, another 3 or 4 days to work fully test the system. Oh and advise him that you'd rather have total down time to really make sure you get it right :D
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I have heard it all now, our MD has banned anyone in IT to use the phrase "Users" when discussing the employees (users) because it annoys him and he thinks it`s not politically correct

Ask him for a politically correct way to refer to webmasters, servers, master/slave IDE devices and male/female connectors, while you're at it; just don't mention killing processes.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    amp2030 wrote: »
    Ask him for a politically correct way to refer to webmasters, servers, master/slave IDE devices and male/female connectors, while you're at it; just don't mention killing processes.

What would be the politically correct way of saying "mount a hard drive". . . icon_confused.gif??:

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Just ignore him, he is having his PMS days. :)
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Oh ask him to put in a bulk order for gender changers and dongles, you might also want to mention memory condoms too...
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
  • Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did he happen to mention that you're not allowed to call them wally's instead? icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Maybe he's overly sensitive due to a stint in rehab.
    Or maybe he used to work at Starbucks where they rename everything. Ever just try to order a large coffee there? Or refer to their employees as waitress or cashier? Sheesh!
    Who isn't a "user" anyway? End-user would perhaps be better. Less nice (and perhaps more accurate) words are often used by IT (e.g. trouble-maker, idiot, etc.)
    However, I've always found labels in IT to be somewhat strange. I cringe every time I hear the words "uninstall" and "user-friendly." Smacks of Newspeak (you will be assimilated).
    I would suggest that you direct your boss to the Dilbert website for more helpful euphemisms.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.