MCDST as elective for MCSE

cbriantcbriant Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

There is a lot of debate on Internet forums of whether the MCDST counts as an elective to achieve the MCSE. I can confirm that it does.

Yesterday I passed the 70-298 exam and after posting my exam success, was told that this wouldn't get me the MCSE certification as I took the MCDST instead of an MCSA elective exam. I've just checked my transcript online and it says "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer", date achived 04/03/2009.

Believe it or not the MCDST must count towards the MCSE, it doesn't make sense to include it for MCSA and then take it away for the MCSE.

Chris.

Comments

• djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    The A+ and Network+ together count as an elective towards the MCSA but don't for the MCSE.
  • cbriantcbriant Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe the reason for A+ and Network+ is that they are not Microsoft.
  • djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I dunno. I'm going for an MCDST as well but it seems like something too simple/easy to be counted towards MCSE credentials.
  • cbriantcbriant Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I'd recommend doing one of the other electives like SQL Server or Exchange 2007 as the MCDST is really the same as 70-270 and it's two exams rather than one.

I feel that I've got a weak MCSE as I don't have Exchange or SQL Server. I'm going to do SQL server next as it requires two exams to get the MCDBA cert.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    djhss68 wrote: »
    I dunno. I'm going for an MCDST as well but it seems like something too simple/easy to be counted towards MCSE credentials.

That would be my guess.

Also, I believe the SBS exam only counts for the MCSE and not the MCSA icon_lol.gif

Edit: MCDBA is for SQL Server 2000, and those exams retire at the end of this month. The MCITPs for 2005 and 2008 require three exams.