Options

DPI Change with no admin rights...

d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi...
We have a few remote users who require the DPI of their screen increased to 120 instead of the generic 96. Nice and simple i thought until i realized you need administrative permissions to change this. As i mentioned above, all of our users are out on the road and not always able to come into our IT Dept to have this changed. At present we have no remote connection into the machines (currently in the process of deploying zenworks) Because of the industry we are in all machines are locked down and administrative passwords are never given out. Neither do we give people admin rights on the machine.

All new machines are imaged using a RIS server so if i can solve this it can be included in the latest build.
I have had a look on the net and cant find anyway round this. I have tried editing the below registry files:

Set to large (120 DPI)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

But again, you need admin rights for the settings to change. I thought about a mini script that could run as administrator, change the registry files and reboot the laptop. I could then email the script to them but wasnt sure on the correct commands for this. I cannot find any local security policy either that i can amend...

So, has anyone else had this issue before?! Sounds a small problem in a busy day but having to tell a user to spend 1/2 day travelling for me to click two options dosnt go down to well...

Cheers in advance!

Comments