Options

unreadable characters in epson printer utility

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
I have an issue with an epson printer displaying question marks ????????? in the printer utility. I've tried to uninstall the drivers and utility in safe mode, scanned for virus and I even restored a full backup but it still displays those question marks and weird characters on its tabs (looks like arabic). Anyone know how to restore this back to English?
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This happens a lot here, some "stupid" applications will detect the different languages installed on the PC and select the "appropriate" language for you, and often it ends up with the ????? every where in the application.

you can try to install the missing language files "regional settings" or you can uninstall the application, remove all languages other than english, reinstall the application then add the languages you removed earlier.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    wd40 wrote: »
    This happens a lot here, some "stupid" applications will detect the different languages installed on the PC and select the "appropriate" language for you, and often it ends up with the ????? every where in the application.

you can try to install the missing language files "regional settings" or you can uninstall the application, remove all languages other than english, reinstall the application then add the languages you removed earlier.

Thanks for the reply WD40...you're right! It even make it harder to trouble shoot since the standard uninstall procedure through add remove programs don't work and it leave's a trace of the driver. Whenever I power on the printer and windows prompts for "found new hardware" it automatically installs the driver like it's plug and play and there's the stupid application again filled with ??????

I've search google and found a solution by deleting the oem.inf for seiko and deleting all the folders associated with epson under system32/spool/drivers. I then proceed to reinstalling the driver...problem solved. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.