Options

IT consultant offer for me...

maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
Hello all, Ive had this new company, and new like I would be the first employee or second, im not sure, well theyre offering me a position as IT consultant, for what I gather in the web page Smart iT Solutions Inicio its mostly an audit firm, they do offer consults on services and audits, implementation of iso 9001:2000, manage systems integrations related to iso 9001:2000 and 27001:2005 and strategic planning.

Now Ive always been into the technical side of IT, you know developing services and administering services, doing BCPs and developing them as well, securing systems and stuff like that...

So what Im asking myself is would it be easy to jump from IT consultant, to systems admin or security admin in a future, this also would be kind of my second job experince... what do you guys think??

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I mean, I think that all depends on your experience at the time you wish to make the jump to a Systems Administrator or Security Administrator position.
  • Options
    Well Im actually trying to do that now, but thats the offer I got...

What kind of experience should do in order to be a system or security admin?
    What kind of experience does IT consultant provide and what would it be great for?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    maumercado wrote: »
    Well Im actually trying to do that now, but thats the offer I got...

What kind of experience should do in order to be a system or security admin?
    What kind of experience does IT consultant provide and what would it be great for?

System Admin you need experience in the Operating System and Application you need to manage. It's a pure technical knowledge, and it's better earned in busy environments.

Security Admin, this is very broad. you can be the Firewall Admin or the one who sets policies, or you can be the network admin responsible for securing it. Or you can be the one doing auditing or vulnerability testing.

IT Consultant could be anything. You can be MS consultant or Cisco Consultant or Storage consultant or anything, but for that you need long experience (10+ yrs or more actually).
    But I've seen a lot of people in PC repair shops calling themselves consultants, so there are different definitions for "Consultant" it seems
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    IT Consultant could be anything. You can be MS consultant or Cisco Consultant or Storage consultant or anything, but for that you need long experience (10+ yrs or more actually).
    But I've seen a lot of people in PC repair shops calling themselves consultants, so there are different definitions for "Consultant" it seems

So I thought, and still thinking...

I think Im gonna hold up and ask what would be my role, I hardly believe that this job would give me the experience I want for my career, still im gonna hold up till monday, when I have the interview and ask them exactly what would be my role, and I let you people know!

Thank you...
  • Options
    Did not hear from these people again... it was an auditing job and assesment for 27001 and other stuff...