Options

MCSE which elective?

calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am wondering which elective tests you fellas are going with, and why.

I still have 3 or 4 tests to go until this really matters. But there is a bookstore blowing out books at 50% off down the street from my job. I am looking at the SQL server test or maybe the Exchange server test. On the silly easy end of things I have seen elsewhere that maybe the Vista test (70-262) or the MCDST count towards the MCSE. But I feel those would pigeonhole me as a desktop guy. Which I have been doing for a while now and am already getting tired of!
studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    It turns out I will be going with Security+. I really didn't know what I was doing in the begging and just started taking the CompTIA exams. Later I found out I can use my security+ for my MCSA/MCSE elective. Bonus!

Do you have a SQL or Exchange server where you work? Them would be especially good if you do.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I've seen, either SQL Server or Exchange experience will make you stand out. Out of the two, I'd go with whatever interests you; there are plenty of opportunities for both.

I would avoid the simpler exams if you really want to make the most out of your MCSE.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In the real world you will need SQL server, Exchange, ISA server and Sharepoint... Of them I would start with Exchange, seems to be enough demand to get you work even with minimal experience.

As far as the desktop knowledge, if you are at the MCSE level you should skip it.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Thats kind of what I though too. It seems that there are a never ending supply of young dudes that get churned out by some monolithic diploma mill. Lot of kids that know all about hardware and desktops. But out of the places I have workded at recently (I do a lot of contract work) SQL and Exchange get mentioned a lot. Every server move/install I do there are always some SQL boxes, usually wired up to a big ole disk array.
    That and the developers at my work are always doing SQL stuff.
    I think I may just go for that.
  • Options
    Something else occurred to me today. Since I am already studying fro the CCNA, maybe the Exchange or Communicator server exams might make sense. I could specialize in VOIP stuff. Like hooking up your VOIP phones, and exchange together. Saw this cool demo at a MS event (with Bill) where they did this whole round robin with communicator. If you dont anser your IM, it can pop right over to email, or phone, or texting to mobile etc.
    kinda neat!