Options

ISIS Question

kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
Hello all. I'm days away from taking my BSCI and i'm trying to go over the little details of each subject. I've already failed this test a couple of times coming somewhat close. 700 was my best score. I feel confidant everytime but this time. Anyway my question is on ISIS. When I do a show clns neighbors and for my SNPA address and I see HDLC listed is that telling me that it's a point to point link? If i were to see a DLCI 301 that is obviously that i'm connected via frame relay. Does that make sense? Just trying to understand the little details.

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SNPA (Sub Network Point of Attachment) shows the layer 2 address. Frame-relay uses DLCIs, so that is why it show a DLCI number. If you were to look at the Ethernet SNPA it would be a MAC Address. HDLC doesn't have layer 2 addresses, so it simply says HDLC.
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    HDLC can be used for both Framing and P2P is that correct?
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    for the exam, just know that if you issue "show clns neighbor" et see HDLC, it means that the local router is connected to his neighbor in a point to point fashion, let's say leased line for example. If you see a DLCI number, it means IS-IS is running on Frame-Relay.
    HTH