Options

Backing Up SharePoint

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hello Everyone

We are in the midst of doing a sharepoint deployment for a client, and are now considering backup solutions. I know that a regular sql backup will (i think) do the trick for recovery, but there are also solutions such as backup exec/sharepoint agent that will allow for granular restore. Does anyone have experience with this type of scenario?

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've used both the backup exec and the netbackup agents for things like restoring single documents, it's always worked fine for me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I've used both the backup exec and the netbackup agents for things like restoring single documents, it's always worked fine for me.

+1 spend the money on an agent (the Symantec ones blargoe mentioned work great) as restoring both IIS and SQL sucks - and recovering an entire DB just to retrieve the file/site the user deleted (and then purged from the recycle bin by accident too) is a royal P.I.T.A.
  • Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As above - use industry specific sharepoint backup tools. I have had one experience with using hte sharepoint backup and restore and it just wouldnt work icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The Backup Exec Sharepoint agent is the best I've used, though I had a really niggly issue that I sent to Symantec to fix and it took a few months to fully resolve - they subsequently released a patch for it, I was using v12.0 at the time.

All working fine now though, on a few different instances/solutions, and I agree with what the others have said that the ability to restore a single document is much better than recovering an entire DB or using stsadmin.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    +1. BackupExec's agent rocks!
    Good luck to all!