Options

Certification Listing

chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I plan on totally revamping my resume and was wondering what was the best way to list a certification that is in progress. I have my CCNA, MCP and am working on my MCSA I have completed 70-270 and 70-290. I'm currently studying for the beast and shall hopefully attempt it with in the next few months. I want to some how include MCSA in progress on my resume to catch any keyword scanning software that would help my chances of being noticed. What do you guys think is the best way to do this? Should I list that it is in progress and include the passed exams or say in progress currently studying for 291 etc...

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chuckzito wrote: »
    I plan on totally revamping my resume and was wondering what was the best way to list a certification that is in progress. I have my CCNA, MCP and am working on my MCSA I have completed 70-270 and 70-290. I'm currently studying for the beast and shall hopefully attempt it with in the next few months. I want to some how include MCSA in progress on my resume to catch any keyword scanning software that would help my chances of being noticed. What do you guys think is the best way to do this? Should I list that it is in progress and include the passed exams or say in progress currently studying for 291 etc...

This is just my opinion, but I don't think the MCSA is that valuable to worry about it in this situation. Especially considering that you already hold the CCNA. In fact, I think there might be a couple of threads on here about how the MCSA "gets no respect". Were it me I probably wouldn't worry too much about it and just finish the exams, which shouldn't be that hard for you given what you've already done.

MS
  • Options
    chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So there is no point to even put MCSA or in progress on there jeeze what a rip...I'm not even 100% sure I want to move on after and complete MCSE really want to get into security aspect.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see nothing wrong with listing a cert that is actively being pursued if the req's are partially met. I wouldn't put much emphasis on it though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would recommend against anything saying "in progress" just seems unprofessional. Nothing wrong on the on other hand of listing something like this....

MCP - Microsoft Certified Professional on Windows XP
    MCP - Microsoft Certified Professioanl on Windows 2003
    CCENT - Cisco Certified Entry Level Network Technician
    CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I would recommend against anything saying "in progress" just seems unprofessional. Nothing wrong on the on other hand of listing something like this....

MCP - Microsoft Certified Professional on Windows XP
    MCP - Microsoft Certified Professioanl on Windows 2003
    CCENT - Cisco Certified Entry Level Network Technician
    CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate

Well, there aren't multiple MCP certifications, so I wouldn't put it more than once. Unless I only had MCP and/or CCENT I wouldn't put those on my resume at all. I consider MCP to certify someone as having the ability to pass a test, not so much as certifying them as proficient with any technology. My opinion of CCENT is that it is a pretty silly certification, CCNA is entry level, CCENT is... a stepping stone?

I don't mean to offend or belittle anyone by saying that, it's just my opinion.

I do agree on the "in progress" thing, that's more something you might mention in an interview, not something that goes on a resume.
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Well, there aren't multiple MCP certifications, so I wouldn't put it more than once. Unless I only had MCP and/or CCENT I wouldn't put those on my resume at all. I consider MCP to certify someone as having the ability to pass a test, not so much as certifying them as proficient with any technology. My opinion of CCENT is that it is a pretty silly certification, CCNA is entry level, CCENT is... a stepping stone?

I don't mean to offend or belittle anyone by saying that, it's just my opinion.

I do agree on the "in progress" thing, that's more something you might mention in an interview, not something that goes on a resume.

So if you were a CCNA and were working on CCNP, and had passed 3 of the 4 exams you don't think this is important information for employers viewing your CV?

You may be at a level higher than the last cert you got because you be half way or close to getting the next one up. It's not like Cisco certs take a few weeks, they're long term projects which IMO is a big thing.

What exactly is unprofessional about putting 'in process' or 'currently pursuing'? I'm pretty sure some people go too far when streamlining CV's, to the point where valuable info could be left off.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Neeko wrote: »
    So if you were a CCNA and were working on CCNP, and had passed 3 of the 4 exams you don't think this is important information for employers viewing your CV?
    No.

When we're looking for a CCVP and get a CCNA resume that's pulled from the database because the applicant puts "CCVP -- passed CVOICE" on their resume (rather than in their cover letter) we mark it so it never gets selected again and wastes time on our next CCVP search.

And when we're looking for someone for an entry level rack 'n stack position, we may search for CCNA and exclude anyone with a CCNP (and the other professional level and CCIE certifications). It's a waste of our time calling a CCNP or CCIE to see if they'd want a low paying entry level position.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    No.

When we're looking for a CCVP and get a CCNA resume that's pulled from the database because the applicant puts "CCVP -- passed CVOICE" on their resume (rather than in their cover letter) we mark it so it never gets selected again and wastes time on our next CCVP search.

And when we're looking for someone for an entry level rack 'n stack position, we may search for CCNA and exclude anyone with a CCNP (and the other professional level and CCIE certifications). It's a waste of our time calling a CCNP or CCIE to see if they'd want a low paying entry level position.

Well unless your job advertisement says it's mandatory that the applicant has a valid CCNP, your process is cut throat and harsh on determined applicants.

You are only emphasising my point. If I'm one exam from a CCNP (and yes you could argue I should wait until I've passed it) I won't be applying for entry level roles but due to your type of mentality I can't apply for anything else either?

What's the problem with a company seeing the applicant will be a CCNP in the close future and giving them an interview to see if they have the knowledge to back it up? If it was essential the applicant had a CCNP then obviously I wouldn't apply in the first place, so I'm not talking about all scenarios here.

I'm not an employer nor am I even in the position I'm describing, so if what you're saying is how it works then I obviously won't ever put 'in progress' on my CV icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Neeko wrote: »
    your process is cut throat and harsh on determined applicants.
    The 100+ interviews we did for CCVPs who couldn't place a phone call if we gave them a pay phone and a pocket full of change was pretty harsh on us. We lost a lot of time on worthless interviews of "determined candidates" who didn't live up to the hype on their resumes. Our solution got even harsher -- actual work experience is now verified before a candidate gets called in for a hands-on test in our lab. Only after they pass that do we get called in to do face-to-face technical interviews.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have a friend that is being considered for a job by simply putting down that he is perusing his CCNA. I suppose it depends on the job. I know where I'm at, people have been given a job with the requirement that they work towards a degree.

I guess, I'm just saying that it depends on the company, sometimes it could hurt listing certs in progress and sometimes it could help.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a friend that is being considered for a job by simply putting down that he is perusing his CCNA. I suppose it depends on the job. I know where I'm at, people have been given a job with the requirement that they work towards a degree.

I guess, I'm just saying that it depends on the company, sometimes it could hurt listing certs in progress and sometimes it could help.

You have a good point. Resumes aren't a one size fits all scenario, you should know what job you're applying for and tailor or resume to fit the job, remove or add certifications and other information as needed. I suppose if the job said that a CCNP was required it would be worth a shot to list it as being in progress.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The 100+ interviews we did for CCVPs who couldn't place a phone call if we gave them a pay phone and a pocket full of change was pretty harsh on us. We lost a lot of time on worthless interviews of "determined candidates" who didn't live up to the hype on their resumes. Our solution got even harsher -- actual work experience is now verified before a candidate gets called in for a hands-on test in our lab. Only after they pass that do we get called in to do face-to-face technical interviews.

Obviously then it depends on the company and the job description / requirements.

I for one don't intend to be what you're discribing though.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    First off, don't believe the hype, the MCSA is not worthless. I got my first enterprise-level IT gig, working as a systems engineer at a datacenter/tier-1 ISP because I had it. It's not as highly-recognized as the MCSE, but if you explain to someone who doesn't understand what it is, (or think you misspelled MCSE,) that the MCSA is the halfway point to MCSE and that it focuses primarily on administration and day-to-day maintenance of Windows 2003 whereas the MCSE is geared towards design and higher-level administration, you tend to get pretty good results. (Just keep it succinct.)

As for in-progress certs, I fall between two choices. Never, EVER list an in-progress cert on your resume, it's misleading to employers and purposely so. You may want to list it on your cover-letter, (such as when you're 3/4 of the way through CCNP, or at least listing the tests you've taken up to this point,) or simply mention it during the interview. The trick is to be discreet. If you're trying to use the prestige of the cert on your resume without actually having the cert, then you're just name-dropping and trying to garner undeserved attention.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Concerning listing CCENT -

I think this is very important if the employeer is asking for it.

Above all else, customize your resume against the job posting and description.
    -Daniel