Insatlling a Usb HDD in Ubuntu Server

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have just bought a maxtor Onetouch 4 hard drive so I can backup my files on my ubuntu server 8 64bit edition.

I am having problems with mounting the usb Hard drive. I have tried editing the fstab file to include the one Touch drive but still that has not helped.

Can any one help with mounting a usb hard drive? Here are the images of the error I am getting. I know its not very clear.

http://img26.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot1zat.png

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Imageshack gallery could not be found.

Tried "usbmount"? I know that's not permanent, but if that's included in Ubuntu, it could at least test that it works.
    Your problem is the USB is using NTFS. You need to format it and use another file system compatible with your OS.
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am new to Linux, how do I use the USB mount? Can linux use the Fat32 format?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually, all you have to do is put it in a Windows machine and safely remove it. I got that same error this last weekend.
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Actually, all you have to do is put it in a Windows machine and safely remove it. I got that same error this last weekend.

Thanks a million times. I have just been on the phone with maxtor and they said they will not help in anyway because its not supported in Linux.

Your idea worked just safely removed it in Windows and thats working OK.

thanks.
    dynamik wrote: »

So what does that do that makes it work? That's interesting.
    Glad you got it fixed, and yes FAT32 is fine.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    So what does that do that makes it work? That's interesting.

Just read the error in the last screenshot. That's all I did :D
    LOL, that's hilarious...I read that as what to do to safely remove the hardware since it couldn't read the disk. I still wonder why sticking it in a windows computer and safely removing the hardware turns off the NTFS in use mark.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Funny, just had the same
    [root@mike-home ~]# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /usb
    The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.

Although it did what it said above - it fixed it itself .. Drive was mounted anyway ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p