Options

IOS for 3524

StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
Hey guys,

I recently got my hands on a 3524 (layer 2) and I decided to upgrade the IOS. However, I can't find this device in the Cisco Feature Navigator. Am I just missing it somehow or is there another way to find out the latest ios for this?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It is old so it is in the library. 12.0.5-WC17 is the latest for a 3500XL.
  • Options
    slim2000slim2000 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm new to this forum,where can i find the library?? Ty
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need a smartnet contract to download/upgrade Router IOS images, but the switch (and wireless access point) software has been downloadable in the past with just a guest level Cisco Website login. I haven't tried it lately, but the switch IOS download instructions are in this thread
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    slim2000 wrote: »
    I'm new to this forum,where can i find the library?? Ty
    The archive of old IOS files on the Cisco site is called the library. It isn't on this site. Read mikej412's post.
  • Options
    Mikej412, you say might as well collect the entire set which i agree, I just passed the Arch exam so now i'm also CCDP, but now stuck dunno where to go.Voice,security,IP or wireless. My question to you is, which one is on high demand out there? Mike look out for nephew please,thank you....
  • Options
    which one is on high demand out there?
    It really depends on your location and what the companies in your area are looking for...... but that being said, my best general guess:

Security is the hardest field to crack if you don't already have some experience (or a great academic background) -- but you may be able to get on with a Business Partner doing "cookie cutter" firewall installs and jumpstart your security career.

If you've got the skills, I'd say Voice probably presents the most opportunities now -- but we've only been finding "paper CCVPs" who barely demonstrate any knowledge and possess no skills.

Wireless is getting interesting..... but a lot of companies still look at it either as a luxury or a security threat.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the input Mike,I spoke to someone from Cisco earlier today,he also said wireless and voice.Think i'm gonna try voice,building a home lab have a couple router's with CME 4.1,now must buy the interface's.Once again thank you for the input,and will be pickin your brain from time to time hope it's no bother....
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mikej412 wrote: »

If you've got the skills, I'd say Voice probably presents the most opportunities now -- but we've only been finding "paper CCVPs" who barely demonstrate any knowledge and possess no skills.

I'd always wondered about this. The cost of learning a CCVP on Cisco based equipment is something of a barrier to getting hands on experience. You've either got have some money, or your employer has to be willing to back you for it, or you just study and get no practical hands on.

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to pursue a CCVP, but I have been thinking about how I would go about gathering practical hands on.

While it wouldn't help that much for CallManager related stuff, would you consider experience with things like Asterisk, or an Asterisk based appliance distro like Trixbox to be valuable learning tools that would yield some practical hands on so that someone might be more than a paper CCVP?
  • Options
    If you don't luck out and find some of the good old MC3810s for $25-50 WITH INTERFACES, then you'd probably have to spend about $1000 to build a nice home Voice Lab. A CCIE caliber lab will cost more, and a barely adequate voice lab will cost less.

And some vendors on eBay have started selling reasonably priced 1760 routers with Call Manager Express installed.... doesn't help with the Cisco Unity Express required for the CCNA:Voice, but it's still nice for the CCVP exam later. And 1760s without CME are even cheaper (try and get the ones with the black 32 label for maximum memory expandability).

While you definitely don't need to know any of the other non-Cisco Voice Options out there for the CCVP, getting your Cisco Voice Lab to interoperate with other Voice Options is a good indication that you've gained both the knowledge and the skills that you need to know to excel at IP Telephony (and the CCVP).
  • Options
    I have two 2620xm with CME, will that do for now as a start up kit? if not will be lookin at the 1760's...
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    hrm, thanks Mike, good advice.
  • Options
    I have two 2620xm with CME, will that do for now as a start up kit? if not will be lookin at the 1760's...
    I've got a 2650XM with an AIM-CUE for the CCNA:Vocie. It's nice to have another Voice Router to talk to.

The reason I like the 1760s is that is that you can have the analog and digital ports in one chassis (like the MC3810s).

But for the CCVP I also had several NM-2V (with VIC-2FXO and VIC-2FXS) and NM-HDV (with VWIC-1MFT-T1 and VWIC-2FMT-T1) and 2650 and 3640 routers to put them in.
  • Options
    Mike you the BEST,thank you for the input,will look into a couple of 1760's,will keep you posted on my progress.Still tryin to get my skills up,don't want to be labled as a "paper Cisco"...LOL