Options

NYC Jobs??

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all anyone else in the NYC area having a hard time finding a job?! Been looking for a while and although I have some exp & certs its a lot harder then I thought to find something. It seems as if everything has the word "Sr." in the title or has like 5+ years of exp needed. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat is I.

Side note: Have a job now just not what I expected icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    NightShade03, welcome to the club. Thanks to the way the market is now, theres a TON of qualified and newbies out in the market looking for work. Which means employers can be very picky about who they pick.

I was looking for a position for about 7 months before I finally landed a position. Be patient and try hammering up careerbuilder and dice.

For me it came to a point where enough was enough when seeing recruiters. I would outright be bold about it on the phone and demand a phone interview and that my time was precious and I have a tight schedule. Some gave me the "screw u" backtalk while some actually said OK.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    Haha I know exactly what you mean! I graduated from college last May and had started looking for a job last Feb. Apparently the career center seems to think that just having a BS will get you anywhere you want in life!! (funny joke). I thought I'd be able to come out of college in at least a jr. admin or jr. system's engineer position (or something related). By the time june rolled around I was so angry that I couldn't get a job anywhere that I just took a technician role with a small company (just so I had something....and money of course).

Been racking up certs like crazy but still going through dice and careerbuilder weekly to try and move up in the world. I read something recently that side that only 5% of people will actually find jobs online, 5% through recruiters, and the other 90% through someone they know....
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to say that it is very very difficult to find a job right now in NYC. There are no entry level position at all. If you didn't get a job before graduate, then forget about finding one right now. Do you have any IT working experience? If you do, then you might still get a chance from other states within the area.

Otherwise, I just don't see anything that is opening right now.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    I have my resume out on Monsters, Careerbuilders but I mainly receive alot of contract positions via email. I haven't actually put any effort to see what is out there in the market as of late.
  • Options
    Its rough I will def admit that however I don't think its impossible. I know of many people who have had to switch jobs many times or look for about a year to find the right job.....because when you find it you will be there for a long time (or at least in theory) icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I've been trying to land a new job in manhattan the last few months. I got a good position that pays well, but it's the overnight shift, which is getting to me. But I've pretty much decided to hold off until things get better and just keep my eyes open just in case.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah its crazy right now tryin to even get an interview right now, let alone a job. i'm sure its not just here in NYC that this is happening too. I've been lookin for a new job since last september, i've put in my résumé to so many companies i've lost count. i try to stay away from the recruiters & staffing firms....not a big fan of those, cuz i've had some unfulfilled promises from them come my way, so i dont mess with them anymore. I get a lot of email & calls from them too, but they positions they have are in like west bubbleffff, nj or way out in LI, or up in bumbleffff, ct....

anyways, just keep lookin cuz there are still pplz hiring, even tho they advertise for like 3-5 yrs experience, i still put in for those positions even tho i'm doin Tech Support for like a year & a half....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)