Options

level 1 and level 2 routes

daniel2009daniel2009 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm having some trouble to grasp level 1 and 2 routes

A level 1 route is a route with a subnet mask equal to or less than the classful mask of the network address

A level 2 route is a route that is a subnet of a classful network address.

Does this mean /1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8 /9 /10 /11 /12 /13 /14 /15 /16 /17 /18 /19 /20 /21 /22 /23 and /24 are level 1 routes and /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 are level 2 routes?

Is it right when saying a parent route is one without an exit interface, and a child route has exit interface?

Comments

• Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    daniel2009 wrote: »
    I'm having some trouble to grasp level 1 and 2 routes

A level 1 route is a route with a subnet mask equal to or less than the classful mask of the network address

A level 2 route is a route that is a subnet of a classful network address.

Does this mean /1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8 /9 /10 /11 /12 /13 /14 /15 /16 /17 /18 /19 /20 /21 /22 /23 and /24 are level 1 routes and /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 are level 2 routes?

Is it right when saying a parent route is one without an exit interface, and a child route has exit interface?

are you studying for the CCNA? if so i'd suggest Todd Lammle or the cisco press stuff, they use a standarized set of terms and definitions. if you are studying fot the CCNA in different language than it pays to go through some english CCNA books as this is how the curriculum is defined what the industry uses.
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    yes Im studying ccna in english (not my native language), there's nothing about level 1 or level 2 routes in these books.
    I need an example for thisicon_sad.gif
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    yes Im studying ccna in english (not my native language), there's nothing about level 1 or level 2 routes in these books.
    daniel, i am actually so intrigued by this i spent five minutes googling this, i cant find anything...

from your description the closest thing i can think of is one of these things:

classful routing
    Subnetting
    Router summarization
    VLSM
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385

I'm intrigued too so i've had i look around and can only find Level 1 and level 2 routes in the protocol IS-IS

IS-IS Caching of Redistributed Routes - Cisco Systems

Is this it? If so, this is well outside the CCNA!
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    no, its ccna2 v4 chapter 8

so far I understand the following:

level 1 route = parent route (synonym)
    level 2 route = child route (synonym)

so a parent route is always level 1, and child always level 2

level 1 route = no exit interface
    level 2 route = has exit interface

a level 2 route is a route that is a subnet of a classful adress.

It seems a level 2 route must have subnet mask /24 or bigger, i tested it.
    But I have no idea why < /24 doesn't work.

I made 2 networks in packet tracer, as seen here:
    f4k8rm.jpg
    The childs can be either dynamic, connected or static routes. (in other words, any source?)

If I'd say it in simple words, a level 1 route is the major (parent) network which can be subdivided in multiple networks (children).

It seems its closely related to auto-summarization command
    Do I understand everything right? if not please correct me, im finding it hard to grasp
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    The childs can be either dynamic, connected or static routes. (in other words, any source?)

If I'd say it in simple words, a level 1 route is the major (parent) network which can be subdivided in multiple networks (children).

Do I understand everything right? if not please correct me, im finding it hard to grasp

I've never seen it called that before and it's certainly not called that in the Official Exam Cert Guide, as just checked.

The "Parent" is the major subnet (it is not classful, as your diagram shows(class B with mask of /24)), it is divided into smalller subnets ("child") and tells you how to get there and how the route was found (static, ospf, rip etc).

Best I can describe using your analogy, which I think is a very poor way of teaching this pretty simple part of the CCNA.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    thanks, that cleared it up :)