Options

Relief boots?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I never really knew what they called them until I was searching for cabling for my lab. They are those plastic ruber type of endings on the ends of cables.

Are they there to relieve stress between the RJ-45 connector and the cable? Is it a good idea to have them on if you're handling the cable often? How easy are they to put on yourself when you crimp cables? Will they slide down if you put them on self crimped cables?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They just slide on to the cable before you put the plug on. They're to stop snagging the plastic clip as well.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »
    They just slide on to the cable before you put the plug on. They're to stop snagging the plastic clip as well.

Personally I hate them and will pull them off (on pre-made cable). Never had a problem with snagging or anything as others say, so I am not ceratin what I do differently then they, but I"ve fished cat5 w/ and w/out ends (w/out is obviuosly desirable, but sometimes it is quicker to send a patch cable through). Plus I hate them in the rack as I find it hard to move the clips.

A small piece of tape will protect the clip if you are worried about it snagging on a pull, and removes easily once fished through.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?