Options

Nat commands

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
Evening all,

just wondered if anyone has any good ways of remember the nat commands especially

ip nat inside source list NAT_ADDRESSES interface s0 overload

thanks

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Evening all,

just wondered if anyone has any good ways of remember the nat commands especially

thanks

The way I learned, as with most of the commands, is to use them in labs over and over. They then become second nature, no easy way around it I'm afraid.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Evening all,

thanks

I've just been firing up packet tracer every night and doing the commands a few times, it just took about a week or so before I remembered those commands well. For some reason I had a mental block on that also.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    That command is probably the single most common NAT command/scenario even though it's quite basic. Very common for small networks with only one public IP address, such as your home network.

What the command is saying is "take all the addresses defined in the access-list NAT_ADDRESSES as inside local addresses and for the inside global address (real address) use the one currently assigned to the interface serial0, but also generate a unique source port number so that different connections from the addresses in NAT_ADDRESSES can connect using s0's address at the same time."

This is a great page explaining all of this:
    Cisco IOS Network Address Translation Overview [IP Addressing Services] - Cisco Systems
    Jack of all trades, master of none