New & need advice!

bcarroll76bcarroll76 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone my name is Bryan,

I am currently IT manager for 2 hospitals in North Dakota. I am looking at getting some certifications, but I know that Internet Security is what I want to get into. Where should I start & what certifications should I get first. Of course my ultimate goal is to get the CISSP...

In my current job am I gaining any experience towards this degree?

Just need some advice on where to start! Thank you for your input!

Bryan

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot depends on what you do with your current position. If you are managing the security side of operations in addition to the infrastructure and network, then most likely you are working towards the required experience.

Start with Security+. It's the basic, entry-level security certification and lays a solid foundation. From there, SSCP is a good choice but don't neglect the other areas. In my opinion, one cannot be a well-rounded security professional until they understand the principles of multiple ares of information-technology; networking in particular.

You need to decide if you would rather look towards management or technical. From there, you'll have a better understanding of the path to take.

This is a really good post for you to read: http://www.techexams.net/forums/164976-post14.html
  • bcarroll76bcarroll76 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am really interested, in the Ethical Hacker / Auditing of networks for vulnerability, so am I right in saying I should at the minimum have Security+, mabye CCNA and CEH or ECSA then SSCP?
    bcarroll76 wrote: »
    I am really interested, in the Ethical Hacker / Auditing of networks for vulnerability, so am I right in saying I should at the minimum have Security+, mabye CCNA and CEH or ECSA then SSCP?

Looks like a good start to me.
  • bcarroll76bcarroll76 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your time.. Another question I have, If I am interested in the actual computer forensics what kind of certs are available for that field and are there any jobs to be had in this type of field?
    CHFI is one of them out there. There is another out there - the name escapes me - that is supposedly better than that one.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    Search this forum for "forensics" and you'll find other discussions talking about the forensics certs.

You generally need a law enforcement, military, or legal background to work in forensics, even for the eForensic technicians. eDiscovery is a field related to forensics and a background in following legal procedures isn't always required.