Options

MCTS/MCITP certification enquiry

PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am thinking of attaining a few Microsoft certs because I'd like to gain some knowledge in areas besides networking. I've got a few questions I guess haven't been answered:

1. What are the time frames for a preparing for a single exam?
2. How many hands-on experience is recommended before sitting an exam?
3. What kind of resources would you use - VoD, books, etc?
4. Which books would you recommend reading?
5. Do these certifications expire and if so, how often do I recertify?
6. How much of a raise can one expect?

Pavel

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1. Depends on experience really. I usually aim between 1-2 months per exam but that just suits my learning methods more than anything else.
    2. The more the better, though using labs/vm's etc is fine if you don't have much in the 'real world'.
    3. Books, MS Technet (is much better than it used to be), CBT Nuggets, Labs and a decent software testing engine such as Transcender usually.
    4. MS Press/Sybex/Syngress normally - depends which exam as some are better than others.
    5. The MCTS/MCITP expires when mainstream support for the product expires, typically around 5 yrs after it was released. You 'recertify' on the next new version.
    6. Ummmm, depends. Wouldnt expect much for a CCIE thats for sure :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot bertieb!

It's high time I concentrated on the end-user part of the network :) so I will start my preparation very soon and hope to be done with all exams by September, 2009.