Options

Mctip:ea...

LTParisLTParis Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am a 13-year IT professional, been to public, private, and government places, and have been successful in my line of work, starting off as help desk, working my way to web design and development, and then transitioning over to infrastructure and application design/implementation/support where I have been in that sector for about 7 years.

I have been contemplating going back on the certification track to personally and professionally prove my knowledge in the diversity of my skills. In the past I got my MCP and A+ 10 years ago, and pretty much everything I have ever learned has been self-taught. As a side note I am sometimes not-so-great in exams. I've always been like that for some reason. Sometimes I can ace them, sometimes I struggle. Hopefully if I decide to take some exams I can find a good formula and the right books and guides to not struggle in these tests.

My goal is to obtain my MCITP:EA (possibly my CCENT and Citirix XneServer too, but that is a different topic). Like I mentioned before it's been years since I last took some MS exams and I am sure it will not be easy. Are there any thoughts on this newer track from MS? Anyone pursuit this already with some words of wisdom? Any tried and true books to obtain? I was thinking getting the MS Press kit and/or the Sybex kit. Is it worth getting both? Is one better than the other?

In general

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    LTParis wrote: »
    As a side note I am sometimes not-so-great in exams. I've always been like that for some reason. Sometimes I can ace them, sometimes I struggle. Hopefully if I decide to take some exams I can find a good formula and the right books and guides to not struggle in these tests.

My goal is to obtain my MCITP:EA (possibly my CCENT and Citirix XneServer too, but that is a different topic). Like I mentioned before it's been years since I last took some MS exams and I am sure it will not be easy. Are there any thoughts on this newer track from MS? Anyone pursuit this already with some words of wisdom? Any tried and true books to obtain? I was thinking getting the MS Press kit and/or the Sybex kit. Is it worth getting both? Is one better than the other?

In general

Avoid "The Real..." series books for MCITP: EA. They're the worst quality tech books I've ever bought. Numerous types, inaccuracies, and they even left editorial remarks in the text. Absolutely horrendous.

Transcenders are good for prep work. You might want to check out the Train Signal labs by clicking the ad on the left, so the people who make this site get a little money.

They include Transcenders now with most of their CBTs.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Make sure to put in a lot of lab work and know your new features. Don't neglect the basics of DNS, DHCP and PKI either though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/