2 Weeks Notice..?

KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
okay I was wondering.. who here really puts in their 2 weeks notice before taking a BETTER job?

Here's my dilemma, I was recently offered a HelpDesk/PC Tech job with a company only making 13.00/hr and working 2 days a week.. which is GREAT for my first step/foot in the door IT Job. I have no Professional IT employment/experience.. so I wasn't NOT going to take the job, even though I felt I should atleast received 14.00/hr.. and would LOVE a full time job, with atleast 30-40hrs/week.

If all goes well, I start on monday.. BUT.. just yesturday I got a call from a recruiter about a Entry Level Contract Job that pays 18.00/hr and full time, for a Department of Defense company!! Can you say Security Clearance?? So, more hours, more pay, and bonus of a Security Clearance under my belt.. even though it's only contractual.. it's one heck of an opportunity.. IF I can get it.

I guess my question here is.. what do I do.. If I get the job/offer.. do I take it.. and bail out of the whole "2 weeks notice" thing.. and start right away.. or do I tell the DoD Contract Job Recruiter.. hey I have to put in my 2 weeks.. can it wait? I don't want to miss the opportunity just because I have to put in 2 weeks notice..?

OHHH... very important.. the first job offer.. the HelpDesk/PC Tech job.. is through a Recruiting Agency... not directly with the company. The other Recuiter Agency for the DoD Client.. that position is for Entry Level Active Directory Position.. so I get to use more of the skills I've learned.. versus just recycling computer parts, and occasionally plugging ethernet cable back into someone's computer.

Has anyone been RED FLAGGED for -NOT- putting 2 weeks notice..

really dont know what the best option is..Thanks!

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Under no circumstance give the 2 weeks notice.Start the new job for $13ph, keep quite about the potential new job.As soon as you get the new contract, ring the agency tell them the job isn't working out and that you're finishing today.
    You will never have to put the $13 job on your resume, it will end up being a 2 week job, who cares, let them pay a decent salary to get a decent long term guy.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Because these are both recruiting agencies, it doesn't really matter what you do. If you just quit the 1st job w/o giving an explanation you will of course be blacklisted by that co. and that info could spill over to their peers. But if you say to them what Ed suggested, then you're fine. Contractors come and go, it's the nature of the gig and people expect it.

If this was a FTE position and you left right away, then you'd be burning bridges that could very well come back to haunt you.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah i would take the job offer right now for the $13 one, and then if and when you're offered the other one, do what Ed said...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't jump the gun too much as you still have to go through the clearance process. Depending on the type of clearance it could take a week or a couple of months. That's my two cents...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    thanks for the input guys.. i kind of figured that's what I would have to do.

good stuff.icon_thumright.gif
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    If this is an at-will employer, then you don't have to give a two-week notice.

An at-will employer can hire you or fire you for any reason (or no reason at all). In the same token, you can also quit for any/no reason at any time. If it comes down to a reason, state that you have been presented with more opportunities and must begin immediately.

A two-week notice is a courtesy you give to the company -- you are not obligated.
    But think about this, do companies give employees a two-week notice before firing them? Not likely.

Depending on the company, you may choose to give a two-week notice or not. If they treat you like crap, then it's perfectly fine to show up on Wednesday morning and say that Friday is your last day.

:D
    Usus magister est optimus
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I don't think I've ever left any job with less than two weeks notice, even if I hated the job and was going to a better one. It's a professional courtesy and it shows respect for your employer, and your new employer should understand that and find it admirable (and an indicator of the professional respect you will have for them). I realize that is a contract/staffing company situation, but that shouldn't really change your level of professionalism.

All that being said...if you do get a job offer from the DoD folks and they want you to start right away & they can't budge on the start date, then be honest with your current contract position/staffing company. Tell them that you got an offer you can't refuse & that it's a great opportunity for you, and while you would prefer to give them proper notice, you are unfortunately unable to because of the new job's requirements. Even if you don't care about this first company/staffing company, you don't want to be actively burning bridges. You'd be moving from one contract position to another, and so you'll need to get either another contract position or a permanent position once the contract term is up. You'll be unnecessarily reducing your future job prospects if you leave on bad terms, and you may run into these people in the future. It's a small, small world, and the fewer people you tick off, the better! ;)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • brown9brown9 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on how long you're going to be at the job you may be leaving. If you decide within a week or two of starting that you're going to quit and take the better job than you are probably saving your current employer time by quitting immediately. I say this because it takes time for most new employees to get acquainted with a job and really become effective. It often takes a lot of resources training wise during the first month or so of employment while a new hire figures everything out so you may be saving them time by not hanging around for two more weeks.

Obviously every situation is different and this is something you'll have to judge for yourself. I think if your in the job longer than a month it would generally be wise decision to give two weeks notice.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to disagree with the majority here.

Honestly, no one expects you to start the day after they make you the offer. Besides, if you are only working 2 days a week, you could even work it out by giving your current employer 2 weeks notice, but let your new employer know you can come in for 3 days this week (or next) to get all the HR paper work done and any other crud out of the way. All employers understand the need for new hires to give their current employer a little notice - even if it's only 1 week instead of two.

Just remember what goes around, comes around.

Congrats on the new job, and best of luck with that other offer.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I'm with Skyprune and Sprkymrk on this.

Not giving 2 weeks is looked down upon and does not show professionalism. If you want to be treated like a professional, act like one.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    I'm with Skyprune and Sprkymrk on this.

Not giving 2 weeks is looked down upon and does not show professionalism. If you want to be treated like a professional, act like one.

I think the main issue is he is not being treated like a professional, when does a professional get $13ph ? Imagine the DoD have two candidates they are interested in, the deciding factor could be the two weeks leave required.Why take the chance, he is just starting out and needs all the breaks he can get.
    I always give notice due to loyalty, but if i was in his position, no chance i'm gonna jeprodise a chance to get my foot in the door of a decent company.
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    I think the main issue is he is not being treated like a professional, when does a professional get $13ph ? Imagine the DoD have two candidates they are interested in, the deciding factor could be the two weeks leave required.Why take the chance, he is just starting out and needs all the breaks he can get.
    I always give notice due to loyalty, but if i was in his position, no chance i'm gonna jeprodise a chance to get my foot in the door of a decent company.
    I don't think that a pay rate defines whether someone's a professional or being treated as a professional, and even if it did then it still doesn't warrant unprofessional behavior. Besides, it's a part time job and they often pay less than full time.

I shouldn't be a deal breaker for the OP to (if offered the DoD job) ask what the required start date is & whether they can wait for two weeks so proper notice can be given to the current employer. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no and want him to come on immediately, at which point he can have that conversation about having to leave with the current employer. It shouldn't jeopardize his shot at the job to ask a simple, professional question, and it should actually increase his chances since it shows a mature, professional attitude.

skrpune wrote: »
    The worst that can happen is that they'll say no and want him to come on immediately, at which point he can have that conversation about having to leave with the current employer.

And then what if the current employer says no, you must give 2 weeks?
    If he follows your code of conduct he must turn down the DoD job, if he doesn't give the two weeks notice everything that went before was a lie and a waste of everybodys time.
    Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.
    And then what if the current employer says no, you must give 2 weeks?
    If he follows your code of conduct he must turn down the DoD job, if he doesn't give the two weeks notice everything that went before was a lie and a waste of everybodys time.
    Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.
    I think you've misread what I wrote, and I certainly am not prescribing any specific code of conduct. I'm merely suggesting that folks act maturely in their professional lives and not walk away from difficult conversations.

Here's my opinion. If it turns out that the DoD job is a start-right-away position (which as sprkymrk said is somewhat rare...unless you've told an employer that you can start right away they generally assume you need time to phase out of your current position and/or get things in order before starting), and if the current employer says "no we want you to stay and we neeeeed two weeks notice," then you've at least given them the professional courtesy of talking to them about it. You can with a clear conscience then proceed to calmly let them know that you it's something that you must do for your career & professional development and you can try to come to an agreement on your exit. They can't "make you" stay, and there's no reason that you're obligated to stay, unless there's a written agreement or if you've signed a contract, in which case it's a WHOLE other ballgame.

It is in your best interest to be mature, calm, and professional. Nothing can be gained by assuming they're going to be jerks about it and just walking out. If you're going to expect to be treated professionally, you have to treat others professionally. And it's my opinion that it's immature and very unprofessional to walk out on an employer without at least talking to them about the reason for your early exit, regardless of your position/pay/length of employment.

Besides, most people actually are rational human beings and can understand that a part time $13/hr job doesn't hold a candle to a $18/hr full time position, and the current employer will at the very least appreciate the professional courtesy of talking to them about it instead of just ditching them & letting the staffing company do the dirty work of letting them know they've been dumped. And like I said earlier, a new employer will be able to see your attitude when you volunteer to ditch a current employer so easily. It might be the difference between that next job being a contract/temp only position or being a temp to perm position.

Its not about maturity,its about selfishness.I'm selfish and from being selfish i get ahead.
    If its a bridge i know i will never use again, i will pour petrol all over it,drop a match and roast my marshmellows icon_smile.gif .
    Its not about maturity,its about selfishness.I'm selfish and from being selfish i get ahead.
    If its a bridge i know i will never use again, i will pour petrol all over it,drop a match and roast my marshmellows icon_smile.gif .
    I still think it's immature and unprofessional, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. And dang nabbit, now I have a craving for marshmallows... ;)

my current recruiting/employer is AT-WILL, so yes they can terminate me at anytime. I told the recruiter upfront that I was looking for a full-time job. they persisted that this is better for just starting out and allows me to focus on my school work. I explained that I can do both, that school is too easy, and that I am automatically receiving A's in the course since I already have my certifications, I'm only taking the courses to improve my GPA, get a lil bit more indepth study under my belt, and easy credits towards my Network Technology Degree. So she know's my feelings on the 2 day/week job (which I start on thursday btw).. Also, when she told me it pays 13.00/hr.. is that okay? I said well I would have expected atleast 14 to 16/hr.. but I supposed I have to start somewhere, but if another company offers me better pay at fulltime, im going to do what's best for me. she said she understood (this was before I was actually offered the job)..

the 18.00/hr job with the DoD Recruiter/Client.. isn't so much about the money.. I would do that job for 13.00/hr.. its more about the HOURS, the EXPERIENCE.. and MOST IMPORTANTLY.. the SECURITY CLEARANCE!

thats the biggest FOOT IN THE DOOR for any IT person is a SC.

so I hope all goes well.. havent heard back about anything yet.. If it falls through.. I might try and pick up a janitorial job with some DoD for a parttime job.. get the Security Clearance.. and then put my 2 weeks notice in. icon_lol.gif

sly move on my part I think.. icon_cool.gif
    not to be too cynical, but I can probably tell you why the recruiter persisted on the part time job...they get bonuses/pay based on their closing rates, and the recruiting company usually gets a cut of the hourly rate that you get. So you taking ANY job, even if it is part time, works out better for them than if you were to just wait it out to take a full time job.

Good luck, hope you hear something soon on the DoD job!

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    .. I might try and pick up a janitorial job with some DoD for a parttime job.. get the Security Clearance.. and then put my 2 weeks notice in. icon_lol.gif
    sly move on my part I think.. icon_cool.gif

I have seen many people do this!

If you don't mind scrubbing toilets and mopping up pee, I say go for it! This is a great way to get a clearance. Whenever a janitor disappears, we just assume they got their clearance and moved on to something better. It really is a good deal, in certain parts of the country, a clearance is pretty valuable.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    For contract work, I wouldn't sweat the two-weeks notice, especially not this early in the game. If this situation ever came up with a full-time employer, I'd pursue the higher-paying job with the DoD as well, then sit down and chat with the current employer and let them know that I had a better offer, thank them for the opportunity, and move on. The earlier in your time with company it is, the less awkward it is for you to leave on less-then-good terms. As mentioned, you don't have to put that earlier job on your resume, and the two-weeks notice thing is really a courtesy practiced by most working people to ensure that they don't 1) leave their company high and dry with no one to fill the position, and 2) so that employers will give favorable feedback when a hiring manager calls them as a reference.

With some companies, I've given two weeks. With one in particular I didn't care for and didn't put on my resume, I gave two days. With others, I've given anywhere from four to six weeks, depending on the backlog and my loyalties.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Honestly a lot of people quit helpdesk jobs within 1 -2 weeks of starting one. It also never gets you 'blacklisted' because it is common place. You don't even have to give a reason.

I have to agree that the level of professionalism goes hand in hand with your wage. For instance you don't expect people working at subway to act as professional as a vice president of a company. If at all possible give your 2 weeks, but keep in mind most companies if you do not give 2 weeks or an acceptable excuse (much higher pay and have been there a while) will not let you work there again. It's not good to burn bridges especially without any experience working in the field.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Honestly a lot of people quit helpdesk jobs within 1 -2 weeks of starting one. It also never gets you 'blacklisted' because it is common place. You don't even have to give a reason.

Ok, so I'm not the only one that has felt like quitting a helpdesk job the first week icon_lol.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I would take the first one and wait to see if there's future with the other one. The jobs that seem to good to be true will always lure a lot of people and you could lose money/work for following it at full extend.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    If you're waiting for a clearance... get comfortable. I've been in the process for 4 months now. Still have time to go on it to.

As for giving notice... I always do 2 weeks. My last job as a corporate employee for Comcast I gave 2 months. It depends on a lot of things.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Always act like a professional, even if you're not being paid or treated like one.

If you get the offer, and they ask you when you can start, explain that you'd like to give your current employer fair notice. If they give you a date to start on, and you accept the job, talk to your current employer, and explain the situation to them. In most cases, people are flexible and react well to honesty.

I've only ever been in a situation once where I wasn't able to give proper 2 weeks notice. The new job was firm on a start date, they needed someone as soon as possible and wanted me to start in 8 days. I went in, I explained the situation, and HR was very understanding, and elected to go ahead and release me right then.

Now, that may seem like an angry reaction. This was the employer that I worked for while I was in school. They'd always been good to me, been flexible with my schedule, and were willing to work with me. The ladies in HR knew me pretty well. This took place a couple weeks before my graduation. One of my teachers had made some calls and gotten me an interview in my field, so that I could start working right out of school (yeah, folks, believe it or not, for all the degrees and all the certifications you might have, who you know is still the best way to get a job...). I was working full time and still carrying a full load of classes and it was coming up on final exam time. The HR folks at my current employer understood that I would appreciate the time to rest up and focus on my finals before beginning a new job, so by releasing me right then, they did me a pretty large favor.

I like to think that because I handled myself well and treated the people I worked with with respect, that I can still claim that I've never parted a job on bad terms.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    If you're waiting for a clearance... get comfortable. I've been in the process for 4 months now. Still have time to go on it to.

+1 on the get comfortable part. Depending on the type of clearance (a huge factor), it can easily take a year. I was fortunate to have mine expedited, and it still took mine 4'ish months, give or take a few weeks. A couple of guys here waited around 9-12 months.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I never heard back about the contract job, and neither did the recruiter.

I took the part time job. icon_thumright.gif