Options

MCSA upgrade

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
First of all id like to say that im a new member to this forum but ive been lurking around for about 2 years.

I recently got my MCSA and would lilke to know what my options were for the 2008 upgrade and what would i have to take.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    you can find a great summary of the upgrade paths to 2008 on Microsoft's site here.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    thanks alot for that, its exactly what i needed
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    That looks like 3-4 total exams from MCSA/MCSE to MCITP? Hmmm, seems like a lot of work for upgrading. IS there that much more of a technology gap from 2003 to 2008 to justify that many tests?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    motogpman wrote: »
    That looks like 3-4 total exams from MCSA/MCSE to MCITP? Hmmm, seems like a lot of work for upgrading. IS there that much more of a technology gap from 2003 to 2008 to justify that many tests?

I think the changes are that great but its something that you want to have if your looking for work. I say this becuase when a HR person see's your resume there gonna see those keywords.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    motogpman wrote: »

To go from MCSE 2000 to 2003 was two exams. The only reason this is three is because they require a Vista exam. Technically speaking, had you chosen Vista as your MCSE client exam, it would have only been two exams to upgrade.

I personally don't see a problem with that.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Ah, so it's the Vista Exam that makes the difference. I guess it's ineveitable to have to have Vista/Win7 at some point in time. LOL, seems this train ride will never end.

Thanks for the clarification guys, it clears things up. Excellent link too, skrpune.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    To go from MCSE 2000 to 2003 was two exams. The only reason this is three is because they require a Vista exam. Technically speaking, had you chosen Vista as your MCSE client exam, it would have only been two exams to upgrade.

I personally don't see a problem with that.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I took the Vista exam for two reasons:
    - from what I can see, it's light years easier than the 270 exam (it was my first MS exam and I was a wee bit scared!)
    - and I happened to have a discount voucher for the 620 exam

My plan is to work on my MCSA & hopefully finish that out by the summer-time (not sure yet if that's the beginning or end of summer tho), and then decide whether to go for MCSE or move over to MCITP with the upgrade exams. So I'll definitely be revisiting this subject in a couple/few months...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion