Options

Integrating cisco routers in your home lan

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
My current network consists of:

-linksys router (cable modem connected to this). The router has a built in 4 port switch. All my computers are plugged into the router.

My question:

How will my two new cisco routers (two 2501s) fit in the network with my other off the shelf linksys router? I want to be able to have all the routers on the network so I can telnet to them.
Any input would be appreciated. I tried searching in this forum, but got more links i could handle

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ah.....Ok I have my setup at home the same way. I have (4) 2500 routers, (3) 2900 Switches, Linksys Router as my gateway to the Internet...my Internet connection is cable.

It's very simple...you must go into your linksys router (Dynamic Routing Tab) and set it up for RIPv1, after that you should be able to telnet to your Cisco routers...ASSUMING that you have all the configurations on your routers correct...IP addresses, routing protocol (in this case RIPv1). You can also use IGRP, on your Cisco routers.

I thought it was pretty neat once I got everything running. Took me a little while to figure it out...the reason it wasn't working for me at 1st was because my linksys router had routing disabled. As of now I can telnet to all 4 routers and all 3 switches. Fun stuff!!! icon_cheers.gif

Hope this helps you out!!!
    If you have anymore questions let me know.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    eh.. my bad. I actually own a Sohoware router (cheapy cable router). The linksys is a WAP. Sorry about that.

That being said, I know RIP is already running on the SOHOWARE router (i see the traffic when sniffing). And I dont believe it is an option I can change in this particular router but I will check. I'm assuming everything else is the same?

I am confused. How does having RIP enabled in your linksys router, let you telnet to the other cisco routers? Cant you do it without RIP enabled?

Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it
    -dissolved
  • Options
    Having RIP enabled in your Linksys router gives your router the capability to route with in your internal network. I learned this when I was trying to get all my routers online. I had everything configured properly with my Cisco routers and switches, but was not able to telnet to them or ping them from my local PC. As soon as I went in and enabled RIP in my router everything started to work like a charm. :D I am able to route, ping, telnet, and get the other PC's online from the networks that are connected to the Cisco routers.

As for the router you have and you stating that RIP is enabled then...the only thing I can think of is that you might have one or both of your routers not properly configured. Check your configurations on your routers again. I'm not familiar with the Sohoware router. icon_rolleyes.gif

Let me know if you fix the problem.
    dissolved wrote:

I am confused. How does having RIP enabled in your linksys router, let you telnet to the other cisco routers? Cant you do it without RIP enabled?

Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it
    -dissolved
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    I'll let you know. I have no idea how to configure the 2501's for RIP, but I guess that's my problem lol

Thanks again man
    -dissolved
  • Options
    If you don't know how to configure RIP in your Cisco routers you may want to read this:

http://techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_1_rip.shtml
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    methoselahmethoselah Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here is my current network at home. maybe it can give you some ideas....

my_network.GIF

all hosts are able to surf the internet and reach each other. I setup RIP
    and IGRP for routing protocols. I'm still reading about OSPF and EIGRP.

also, as of right now, i haven't done FR using subinterfaces yet. But have
    done HDLC (which is default), PPP, and Frame Relay on single interfaces.

i setup a tftp server on Client 01 and saved the configs for all three
    routers to different folders there, for each setup.

all i need now are Cisco switches.

Cisco 2514 = $180 from ebay
    2 transceivers = $20 from ebay
    Cisco 2524 = $ 65 from ebay (already with 5in1 Serial, ISDN-BRI and 56k csu/dsu)
    Cisco 2501 = $ 0 from an IT room literally collecting dust. They also have a monsterous Cisco PIX
    firewall uplugged stashed in a corner under discarded cables. I should ask if I can have it too,
    but I might be pushing it.
  • Options
    NICE!!! icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    Nice diagram. Let me see if I have this right. (please bear with me)

-One ethernet interface of your 2514 is connected to your cable modem (via RJ45?)

The other ethernet interface of your 2514 goes to clients(192.168.0.1/24)

-The serial interface of your 2514 (s0) is connected via serial, to your 2501

-The 2501 creates a Frame Relay network between the two networks.

-The 2524 is also connected via serial to the 2501

-The ethernet interface of your 2524 is connected (via rj45) to clients 172.16.2.1/24

-RIP and IGRP are the protocols used to update the routing tables of all your routers.

Now a few questions
    1. I'm assuning the 2514 has 2 ethernet interfaces as opposed to the 1 that the 2501 has. Should I buy a 2514 if I want my gateway to be a cisco? (i'm on cable too)

2. Where can I read more about this IP NAT inside, IP NAT outside stuff. I understand the basic concept of NAT, but cannot understand the "inside/outside" stuff. Can anyone give a quick explanation?

3. I noticed in your diagram you have a PDC and BDC, both windows 2000 machines. I was under the assumption that all DCs in win2k were PDCs. I had active directory set up here and that is what I found anyway.

Thanks again guys
    -dissolved
  • Options
    methoselahmethoselah Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I used Cisco's "Configmaker v2.6", hit [print-screen] on the keyboard, and pasted it to MS paint to touch it up and add comments.

you are correct. The cable modem is connected to router 2514 with cat-5 cable/RJ-45. The Computers are connected to a Hub with Cat-5/RJ45, which in turn is connected to a Router's interface with Cat-5/RJ45.

The 2514 and 2501 use ethernet 10Base5 AUI ports for their ethernet interfaces so you need a transceiver to plug-in the RJ45. On the otherhand, the 2524 has an ethernet 10BaseT RJ45 port already built-in for e0 so I didn't need a transceiver there.

DB-60 back-to-back serial cables are used to connect the serial ports between the routers. Both the 2514 and 2524 are connected to the DTE ends, and the 2501 is connected to the DCE ends.

1. The 2514 does indeed have two fixed ethernet interfaces and two serials. There are other routers with two fixed eth interfaces like the 2611 (10baseT) and the 2621 (100baseT). Or you can get a router with an empty network (Not a WAN. WAN slots are for WICs) slot and install an ethernet network module for a second eth interface. However, the 2514 is the least expensive of them all.

2. As for NAT, Cisco's NETACAD's html based CCNA Curriculum 3.0 goes deep into NAT under "Semester 4: Wan Technologies" under "Module 1: Scaling IP Addresses." (The module also goes into how to setup DHCP).

Also, Cisco Press's "CCNA ICND Exam Certification Guide (640-811)" explains in detail the different types of NAT (static, dynamic, overload using PAT).

It is interesting that the Cisco material spends whole chapters on NAT for the CCNA, but Sybex's CCNA study guide, 2004, 4th Edition by Todd Lammle only mentions NAT briefly in one or two paragraphs !! what's up with that?

maybe someone who's taken the 801 exam can shed some light on how heavily the exam stresses NAT.

Anyways, when doing the actual configuration on a router, you use the command "IP NAT outside" to tell the router which interface connects to the outside world, and "IP NAT inside" which interface faces your LAN. But for explaining concepts of NAT, Cisco confuses the heck out of you by labeling the different ip addresses involved in the NAT process as "inside local", "outside local", "inside global", "outside local".

Inside local = addresses you use on your lan
    inside global = addresses the outside world recognizes
    outside global = destination address on the outside world
    outside local = I have no idea, but when i look at my "show Ip nat translations", they are the same as outside global.

Here is one of Cisco's online explanation of NAT... http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/ionetn/prodlit/1195_pp.htm

3. You are right they are both peer domain controllers.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Great topic methoselah icon_thumright.gif
    maybe someone who's taken the 801 exam can shed some light on how heavily the exam stresses NAT.
    I haven't taken the 801 exam, but I did take the latest BSCI (CCNP routing) exam and considering how much NAT was stressed on that one (let's say that you need to know how to configure it), I'd say you got that one covered, hence the CCNA exam shouldn't hold any suprises for you when it comes to NAT.