Options

A+ Essential Exam Question

LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone!

I just found this amazing forum! I was doing search for A+ Exam details. I'm going to pass A+ Essentials this Saturday and i'm currently in a big study mode! icon_wink.gif

Im studying with the Mike Meyers 6th Edition book.

I have some questions i wonder if someone could answer me:

1) I just saw on Wikipedia that we need a score of 675 to pass the exam.
Can someone explain me how the ''Passing score'' system work and 675
is equal to what %?

2) In the Mike Meyers book, it say that we need to know thing in Windows
Xp and Windows 2000. Is there alot of question about Windows 2000?

3) I read this exam have 100 questions, is that true?

4) Is there any tips people can give me for the exam?

5) In the Mike Meyers book, we have some section who are ''Essential Section'' and some ''IT Technicians Section''. For the Essential exam, can i read only Essential section or i should read all the book? (I already read it all, but it is time to revise). Which section i should be very careful with?

My experience in computer:

My job is to build PC and repair them. I builded about 2000 PC. I have some experience in repairing pc.

Thx for your answer. (Sorry for my english, it's my seconde language)

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Lefanduch wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

1) I just saw on Wikipedia that we need a score of 675 to pass the exam.
    Can someone explain me how the ''Passing score'' system work and 675
    is equal to what %?

2) In the Mike Meyers book, it say that we need to know thing in Windows
    Xp and Windows 2000. Is there alot of question about Windows 2000?

3) I read this exam have 100 questions, is that true?

4) Is there any tips people can give me for the exam?

5) In the Mike Meyers book, we have some section who are ''Essential Section'' and some ''IT Technicians Section''. For the Essential exam, can i read only Essential section or i should read all the book? (I already read it all, but it is time to revise). Which section i should be very careful with?

My experience in computer:

My job is to build PC and repair them. I builded about 2000 PC. I have some experience in repairing pc.

Thx for your answer. (Sorry for my english, it's my seconde language)

1) You need to make at least a C on the test or score a 70% to pass.

2) I don't remember any Windows 2000 questions. All the questions I was asked about was in regards to Windows XP.

3) Yes

4) Yes, go buy or borrow the ExamCram Practice Questions book. Half of the questions in the book are on the A+ test.

5) Read the whole book.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    just an FYI on the scoring - questions are weighted differently, and there's a lot of questions in the A+ question bank, so there's no straight % that you need to get right in order to pass. The exam is scored on a scale of 100-900, so you have to earn 575 points in order to pass (100 base score + 575 = 675 passing score).

Some people see Windows 2000 questions, some people don't. I would be prepared for them though either way, because there are still a lot of 2000 Pro users out there in the world and you just might have to support them some day.

Good luck!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are 100 questions on essential (70% to pass) and 90 questions on IT Tech (75%?). U just need to know a little bit of everything to pass essential. 2000 is very similar to XP. know the differences.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    just an FYI on the scoring - questions are weighted differently, and there's a lot of questions in the A+ question bank, so there's no straight % that you need to get right in order to pass. The exam is scored on a scale of 100-900, so you have to earn 575 points in order to pass (100 base score + 575 = 675 passing score).

Some people see Windows 2000 questions, some people don't. I would be prepared for them though either way, because there are still a lot of 2000 Pro users out there in the world and you just might have to support them some day.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your answer, that appreciated. But what do you mean with the 100 base score?
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    100 is the lowest score you can get
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    skrpune wrote: »

Good luck!

+1

Exactly.

There is no % to pass. This isn't high school. With the questions being weighted differently and beta questions slipped in that are not scored....worrying about a a percentage is a waste of your effort. Concentrate on learning the material.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I'm back from the Exam. I passed with a score of 779. Its cool! But i have a strange taste in my mouth cause i had question about thing i forgot to revise and some questions with word that i dont know what they mean (English is not my first language). It's bad we can't come with a French/English dictionnary! LOL

Well IT exam is next! :D

Good luck to Everyone in their Certifications! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lefanduch wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm back from the Exam. I passed with a score of 779. Its cool! But i have a strange taste in my mouth cause i had question about thing i forgot to revise and some questions with word that i dont know what they mean (English is not my first language). It's bad we can't come with a French/English dictionnary! LOL

Well IT exam is next! :D

Good luck to Everyone in their Certifications! icon_cool.gif
    Congratulations on the pass! Believe me, some of the questions can be quite confusing, irregardless of your first language! You got a solid score, enjoy the moment. Well done!
  • Options
    REID8968 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass! Believe me, some of the questions can be quite confusing, irregardless of your first language! You got a solid score, enjoy the moment. Well done!

Thx Alot!

But i don't have much time to enjoy, i scheduled my IT exam on Wenesday! I want to do the exam cause everything is fresh in my head. I just have to revise! I hate to study but i must! ^^

After that i will enjoy! :)

Going back on pratice test!
  • Options
    Sup guys,

So i made the IT Exam today. I had alot of trouble with some questions and i had not enought time to review all my questions... I needed to score 700 to pass and my score was.... 700! I've pass! I'm lucky LOL

Got question: It's say that it take within 4 and 6 weeks to get the certificate. How much time it took for you?

Thanks GOD i've passed! :)
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Nice pass! I just passed my CCENT, and after my CCNA I'm going after A+ essentials and IT tech. Glad to hear you passing, even though the questions can really play with your mind when you dont get every single word!

What materials did you use? The book solely?
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    I used Mike Meyers 6th Edition book. Yeah i only used that book. I have some experience in computer world too. :)