Options

Leave Helpdesk?

Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
I have been working for a company that sells tickets to events/ball games for about 6 months now. Basically, at my helpdesk job, I troubleshoot issues for groceries stores and venues that sell tickets, and troubleshoot our employee's issues as well. I basically troubleshoot their ticketing system (software and ticket printers), and for employees I mostly reset passwords. The ticketing system that I troubleshoot is proprietary to our company. I feel that I am not gaining any experience that I can take with me to another dept. or different company. In my 6 months there, in UNIX, all I've learned are the commands kill, whom, and finger. I really don't get to do much in Windows or UNIX. For the most part, it's troubleshooting the company's custom software. I don't feel that I will learn much more than I already know here. Should I leave this company and find another job where I'll gain better experience, or should I ride this job out and see if other opportunities pop up?

Note: Most employees in the company that have moved up to a different position worked in the helpdesk for 5 years before this happened.
The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293

Comments

• Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I can tell you one thing, it will be near impossible to get a job doing what you want to be doing without a fair amount of experience.

It sounds like you mostly do POS work, and while you may enjoy that and want to continue doing it (and thats fine) I hate that crap and would want out ASAP.

I think considering the current economy you should sit still and be patient, but toss resumes out here and there to jobs that look good.

Most often in this field you have to find someone willing to take a chance on you, before you are allowed to have a job where you can hone in-demand skills and make some real cash.

I busted my rear for 2 years as a EST, and am now an Active Directory Engineer. My company is giving me that shot because I've given so much back over the past 2 years.

If you dont feel like the opportunities are goin to be there, or come as fast as youd like...I would try to find something else. It never hurts to throw some resumes out here and there.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Hit the job market as hard as you can imo. Proprietary support doesn't carry any weight for another company unless they too happen to use the same software. Not likely in your case. My advice would be for you to get on a Helpdesk where you can support AD and Microsoft products. 6 mos of that and you're golden. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Even if hes supporting a custom software hes also supporting POS systems, and that IS a transferrable skill.

Albeit one that most people pull their hair out over cause those things are terrible but its a skill nonetheless.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I have to agree with genX. With supporting a proprietary system like that where probably no other place that you would get a job would have you are extremely limited in how far you can advance. I would suggest using the fact that you have help desk experience to land a help desk job supporting Windows. Then go from there as you get experience. If you have certs or are getting them then use that with your experience and the possibilities are endless as you gain more advanced experience.

I would however highly suggest waiting until you have landed a solid job with a good company before leaving what you have now. With the current state of the economy its most important to make sure you have a stable job. I know I plan on staying put where Im at even though Im not doing what I really want.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    brown9brown9 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work with proprietary software and can really feel your pain. Fortunately I get to work with some Cisco and Microsoft domain management but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Some of your experience may be transferrable depending on what level issues you deal with. It sounds like you do mostly level 1 if its reseting passwords and such. if you're configuring the software or troubleshooting complex problems and workinig with programmers its probably level 2 or3. That can be valuable experience and look good on your resume. If your mostly level 1 you still have helpdesk and softskills experience.

It sounds like you've found that getting promoted can take awhile. Thats a huge drawback, although if the company is expanding or doing very well it could signal opportunities ahead.

I'd say that unless your current situation is unbearable stay with it, but hit the job market hard maybe even take a pay cut if you find the right job.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    I notice you have an MCSA? Or are you just working towards it? Either way doing the job you're doing now is wasting that cert away. The timeline most people do is work helpdesk for 6-12 months then move on to DST or get someone to take a chance on you in the area you really want to work in. Unfortunatley even though your job is a helpdesk job, it will not help your resume in landing anything more than another helpdesk job unless someone takes a chance on you.

Start looking for a new job asap, one that would utilize AD / windows like most people here have said.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dont quit the job without having secured a new position first, especially with the way the job market is not....but definitely look for a new employment, go to job fairs, and definitely try and get some interviews. and even tho you're supporting proprietary s/w, you can still transfer the skills/techniques to a desktop support job...just convey that message to the prospective employers.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Over the course, I have worked with a lot of proprietary software / hardware . The 'spin' that I put on it, is that, it shows that I have a high aptitude for being able to learn new things. If I am asked about an area that I have never worked with, I honestly say “no” , then follow up with something along the lines of I have a lot of experience on systems / software / hardware etc that I have never worked on but that never presents a problem. Then I give them a real life example.
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    imfrom51 wrote: »
    Over the course, I have worked with a lot of proprietary software / hardware . The 'spin' that I put on it, is that, it shows that I have a high aptitude for being able to learn new things. If I am asked about an area that I have never worked with, I honestly say “no” , then follow up with something along the lines of I have a lot of experience on systems / software / hardware etc that I have never worked on but that never presents a problem. Then I give them a real life example.

That's an excellent idea! I will definitely use that angle!
    brown9 wrote:
    It sounds like you do mostly level 1 if its reseting passwords and such.

Yep, that's me, Level 1 icon_sad.gif
    brown9 wrote:
    It sounds like you've found that getting promoted can take awhile. Thats a huge drawback, although if the company is expanding or doing very well it could signal opportunities ahead.

Too long. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to work for what I want, but I'm not willing to work 5 years in the helpdesk to become a DST. That's how it is in my company. I feel in 5 years that I should be some type of administrator. At LEAST junior admin!
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the dark days following the dot com bust, I had to backtrack and take a position in Help Desk. I thought that I would stick with it for only a few months before I took a job commensurate with my skills, but I ended up staying 2 1/2 years. It was comfortable. It was rewarding in the sense that I learned quite a lot about enterprise environments and it greatly improved my customer service skills and it was a good group of people to work with. It was low stress (most of the time) and the pay was really decent for what the job entailed. In terms of what we could do technically, we were given a fair bit of leeway - we could remote to desktops and work our "magic" with our local admin privileges. I had a really good boss who fought for us. I brought much to the table technically, and I was able to teach the other members how to do stuff they didn't know they could do before. It was cheaper for us to fix as much as we could without Desktop having to do it.

We had very little access server side, and I felt that my skills were beginning to decay. In the end an opportunity arose where I had more freedom to exercise my talents and I left the company. I think that eventually I would have made my way over to the server group via my manager's advocacy and actually getting some certs, but it would have been a long haul and I would have hadf to go into DST first.

Your company sounds the same - you have to put in the time to get known and very little freedom to exercise or learn new skills. Should you leave Help Desk? Probably. Like others have said, don't do it until you've secured a position elsewhere. My first FT position was with a rural school division (Yes "division", I'm from Canada). I was the sole tech guy and I had total control over the computers, servers, and networks within 75 kilometers. I learned so much during those years and it was the best experience-wise (although not pay-wise). I think times have changed in the 13 or so years hence and the school divisions are more structured in their IT requirements so it may be more difficult to get something similiar. If you don't mind living in the boonies it might be something to investigate.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd find something not so proprietary anyway. I think you're in a dead end job right now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...