x86 XP print drivers on x64 2008 print server

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have an x64 2008 print server that is being used as a print server for our terminal servers which are also x64 2008. I have about 30 different models of hp printers and Im experiencing a sporadic issue. On some of the printers, I am able to install the x86 XP driver for the printer but on others I cannot. The error that I get is "The specified location does not contain the driver [printer model] for the requested processor architecture". Obviously I will need the x86 XP driver for non-ts clients to print to the print servers. Any ideas?

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen a couple of things work before.

On 2003 x64, there are some print drivers for which you can't install the x86 drivers directly at the server console. However, you can browse over the network from an x86 machine to \\servername\printers and faxes, open server properties, and add the x86 driver from there. Maybe something similar works in 2008. Never tried it.

The other thing I've seen before, specifically on 2008, an error about the printer driver not matching, and it's looking for the file NTPRINT.INF. You can get a copy of this file off an x86 Windows 2008 CD and give it that location.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of things work before.

On 2003 x64, there are some print drivers for which you can't install the x86 drivers directly at the server console. However, you can browse over the network from an x86 machine to \\servername\printers and faxes, open server properties, and add the x86 driver from there. Maybe something similar works in 2008. Never tried it.

The other thing I've seen before, specifically on 2008, an error about the printer driver not matching, and it's looking for the file NTPRINT.INF. You can get a copy of this file off an x86 Windows 2008 CD and give it that location.

Ive just read of few posts like that around the net. Will try it soon. Thanks!
  • neopadminneopadmin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw your initial question regarding this and have posted the fix I implemented to my blog...

NeopAdmin

I hope this helps.