Options

Do you use a professional resume writer?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Would you guys pay to have a *professional* rework your resume? And if so who do you use and how much do you pay?

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nah, since you have to customize the resume for every job you apply for.... I just snag a book and some examples off line.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used one to write my resume for me, I think it cost me $120, or somewhere around there. They also offered a money back guarantee if I wasn't hired within a couple months. Seemed to work out pretty well since I kinda suck at writing resumes. I got an interview for every job I applied at, with the exception of a recruiting agency.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I don't think I'd ever pay someone else to do my resume. I am a perfectionist and am notoriously bad at taking "constructive criticism" on things in written form, and (not to toot my own horn) I think my resume is in pretty good shape and I've always gotten good feedback on it, so I don't think it would be worth the money for me.

That being said, I don't think that it's a bad idea to use a resume service per se. If you feel you need the help, then by all means go for it - it's an investment in your career. And you can use the resume that's created for you for years to come - if you like the results you're getting, just follow the pattern to keep it up to date as you progress through your career.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    skrpune wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever pay someone else to do my resume. I am a perfectionist and am notoriously bad at taking "constructive criticism" on things in written form, and (not to toot my own horn) I think my resume is in pretty good shape and I've always gotten good feedback on it, so I don't think it would be worth the money for me.

That being said, I don't think that it's a bad idea to use a resume service per se. If you feel you need the help, then by all means go for it - it's an investment in your career. And you can use the resume that's created for you for years to come - if you like the results you're getting, just follow the pattern to keep it up to date as you progress through your career.

Well my current resume was re-written with a helpful recruiter 2 or 3 years ago. I thought though that since I have a job and money now I can afford to spend it on things like that. Plus I've been wanting to restructure it for a while.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    Well my current resume was re-written with a helpful recruiter 2 or 3 years ago. I thought though that since I have a job and money now I can afford to spend it on things like that. Plus I've been wanting to restructure it for a while.
    then what the heck - go for it! If you're not hurting for cash and want to get it spruced up, then there's no reason not to. Spending money on yourself/your career development is one of the few investments that is sure to give you a good return, and that's hard to come by nowadays...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion