Options

Telephone systems?

katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
We were recently bought, and our new company is putting in a new T1 line. The phone guy came in and put in the POTS line, and I ran a cat5e line from the server room to the electrical room where the line was put in. I consider myself a rookie admin, so I have never really dealt with telephone systems before. I know how to create network outlets, so I think that doing the rj11 outlet in the server room shouldn't be so hard, but I have no idea what to do in the electrical room. Where I am punching down the cables? Is there any site that gives IT people knowledge on telephone systems?

Comments

• Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    Is this t1 for data? If so (Disclaimer:I literally know right next to nothing about anything I am about to say) the telco should also provide you with a smart jack. This will be a circuit that handles the protocols related to the t1 line itself. From that, you run a cable (it has a specific type, but I have used standard cat5e wiring successfully) to a csu/dsu on your router.

Maybe. Unless I am wrong. Which I probably am.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    katakatak wrote: »
    We were recently bought, and our new company is putting in a new T1 line. The phone guy came in and put in the POTS line, and I ran a cat5e line from the server room to the electrical room where the line was put in. I consider myself a rookie admin, so I have never really dealt with telephone systems before. I know how to create network outlets, so I think that doing the rj11 outlet in the server room shouldn't be so hard, but I have no idea what to do in the electrical room. Where I am punching down the cables? Is there any site that gives IT people knowledge on telephone systems?

I assume the T1 PRI is to be used for telephony as opposed to data? Do you know if you have a PBX system? Imagine your T1 needs to find its way there.