Options

MCSA to MCSE or MCITP?

Hi, just completed my MCSA 2003 today and I'm a little confused about what to do next.

How do the MCITP exams for server 2008 conicide with MCSA and MCSE - I know you can "upgrade" from either of them, so I'm confused. Do I go for my MCSE and then MCITP, or straight for MCITP?
You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Finish your MCSE and then do the MCSE to MCITP: EA upgrade path.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    You can go either way but I would do MCSE first then MCITP.

This article may help: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/windowsserver/2008/transition/default.mspx#MCSA

You could be MCSE in 3 exams then MCITP:EA in three more (or two if you already have 70-620 out of the way). Or you could be MCITP:EA directly in four exams (or 3 if you have 70-620).

EDIT: I see you have A+, Net+, if you used that combo for your MCSA it's worth noting that you can not apply that towards your MCSE, so that would be an extra exam for MCSE, I think. Luckily, you could just use the 70-620 which would count both towards your MCSE and MCITP upgrade path.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Best track careerwise at the moment would be to complete your MCSE, then do the upgrade to MCITP:EA. MCSE is still widely recognized with many employers not recognizing the MCITP at all yet.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Thanks for the response guys.

It seems like the quickest, easiest, and cheapest thing to do would be to go for the MCITP straight from MCSA.

But I think I'd like a more solid background, especially because of my lack of professional experience, so I'll go for the MCSE. It will take longer, and cost a little more but I think it will benefit me more in the long run.

Since I'm going to be looking hard for a job, (and want a little break from DNS!), I'm gonna work on 70-620.

Thanks again.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think brand awareness of new MS certs is pretty poor with alot of job postings I see asking for MCSE rather than the MCITP. I even saw one asking for an MCDBA which doesn't even cover the product they expected you to know and is scheduled to be retired in a matter of days. MS probably needs to step up its HR marketing but MCSE has been a trusted acronym for well over a decade now so brand awareness is only getting bigger. The MCSE will continue being the cake with other MS certs being icing for some time.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade