Options

HELP!

I currently have a computer from a lab (workgroup) that I locked down..The user can only execute desktop icons and log off...Everything works as it should with read only rights through out the c:\....I even applied read only to the DOCUMENTS&SETTINGS folder 4 this user .....Microsoft word gets an error " Word cannot open (Normal.doc)"...But the program continues to work...I have changed permisions on several files and folders including the home directory for normal.doc...Does anyone have any suggestions...

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Try relaxing the permissions on the user's Local Settings (hidden) and Applications Settings folders. I think Word wants to write something there when you open a document...
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    try giving more permissions to the document or the folder of those documents of that user, obviously when you open a document you are trying to MODIFY a file and there are no permissions for that if you set just read and execute, same thing with the desktop stuff and other things, you are modifying files, if you gave more permissions to the document and there are still restriccions be sure that parent permissions are not affecting that folder from permissions for the drive or other folder that contains that document. that is what i can recommend so far... tell us how is going the problem and give us more details if you can to help icon_wink.gif
    Formule One Racing Addict...
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Thank you both for your suggestions...I have been careful about parent pemissions and allowing permissions to the normal.doc home directory, but like you said Ramsesk, word is obviously trying to write elsewhere (outside of normal.doc)..I will give some "modify permissions" to other areas of the system and see what happens..Thanks!
  • Options
    I made a solution...the restricted user cannot access C:\DOCUMENTS&SETTINGS.....they can access their profile with modify rights....The My Documents is read only along with the rest of the c:\ and some profile beef..I also used gpedit.msc to lockdown some desktop issues and denied access to the GROUP POLICY system folder 4 an administrator account so the policy won't apply to it...All in all the computer is completly locked in a workgroup, all the programs work great and nobody can save files anywhere but the A:\... :D
  • Options
    TinaRRTinaRR Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was under the impresion that when you are dealing with Normal.dot and access writes that the normal when opened creates a temporary swap file and re-writes the normal.dot when it is closed again. I make all my templates read only so users cannot change them accidently. So in giving the user Modify writes you have done all that needs doing. I am changing my head around the Novell way of giving rights to the Windows way and may be confused, please clarify if I am wrong.
    Thanks
    T
  • Options
    Actually I re-did everything..I just created a normal user and let the rights be whatever thery want where ever...I just prevented access in group policy to the C:\..works great...About the normal.doc file? I got sick of playing with it, group policy is the best answer for me.
  • Options
    BulletToothTonyBulletToothTony Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for bringing up a great question. If the user doesn't have modify and attempts to open up a word file, will that effect the two ghost files that also open along with it (I believe they are the autosave files if AutoSave is turned on). In theory, if autosave is turned on, and the user didn't the proper rights, word would come back with a similar error.

I know you fixed the problem, but this floated in my head while read your post.

Good luck
  • Options
    BulletToothTony
    Thats a good point..That is what was going on, the ghost file was trying to be written where there was no permissions to do so...I really didn't want to waste time allowing and dissallowing certain file permissions and guessing...So I created a virtual bubble around c:\ so the user cannot even view it, but they are accesing it & I keep them contained to the read only desktop..