Options

NAT Questions

tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm having some difficulties reconciling what the book i'm using (70-291 self-paced microsoft one) says about NAT and what i can figure out. From what I read, it says i can use either DHCP or the DHCP Allocator to provide address on the internal network. The allocator part works fine, but how do you get an actual DHCP server to work for distributing internal network addresses? Did they mean to say you can use ONLY a DHCP server in local broadcast on the internal network or is there a way to use a DHCP server attached in some other way (relay agent or within broadcast of the NAT server's public interface)? The book says that you cannot use a relay agent with the NAT service and it doesn't seem to work (the relayed DHCP discover message sets giaddr equal to the NAT server's internal IP). Is there a way to use a relay agent with NAT?

I can't get anything to work for DNS. I have DNS installed on the server acting as NAT, which ostensibly shoudln't require me to change anything, but it doesn't work whether i enable the DNS proxy or not. From what source are the internal computers supposed to get the DNS server they are supposed to use in either situation (using dns proxy or not)? None of the NAT clients have a configured DNS server.