Options

Question about giving 2 weeks notice

Auto|MaGAuto|MaG Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok so my job sucks right now. Really bad. I have an interview tomorrow for a PC Tech paying 13-15/hr(I make 9 now). How critical is it to give a notice before quitting my current job? I dont want to not get the job if they are looking for someone to start asap. If I tell the interviewer I can start asap, is that going to be looked upon as a bad thing?

Comments

• Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    Depends really on what notice period your contract/agreement with your current employer is really, and if they will let you away early etc..
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    Auto|MaGAuto|MaG Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, due to the way things have worked out I can pretty much leave anytime.

I really want to tell the inteviewer at this new job I can start monday. However, I dont know if that would be frowned upon by them due to the fact that they know I have another job right now. Im trying to decide what I will tell them if they ask me when I can start. Is it ok to say something along the lines of "I'd like to give 2 week's notice, but if needed I can start immedtinaly"

I just dont want get turned down for the job if they need someone right away.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be careful with the potential employer. You don't want to be perceived as somone who doesn't give a notice. When they asked you when you can start, say that you are planning on giving a two weeks notice. If they want you to start sooner, tell them you will discuss it with your current employer. If they don't ask about starting sooner, you can ask about starting sooner, incase you giving your notice does not go over well.

Must places that I have interviewed expect you to give some type of notice to your current employer. Two weeks is usually normal.

Don't give your notice at your current employer until you are sure you have the job with the new employer.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    What I did was give a 1 week notice....The new employer said they really could use me asap, but I told them I had a good relationship with my current employer, So I would be fair to both parties and split the two week notice in half, so everyone wins....
  • Options
    kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what I would do is... do what garv said.. and ask them if it will be ok for you to work night shifts.. so thus, you can help them out with the load of work that needs to be done...

i am pretty sure they will say "no its ok", but that will give them a good impression about yourself...
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Give a 2 weeks notice. If you just leave your job without notice it's going to make you look bad to your new employer. It will make them feel like you could and would do the same to them at some point.

My 2lbs. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're new employer is willing to wait 2 weeks, then you might want to give a 1 week notice to your current employer and enjoy a week off. You're vacation time won't come up anytime soon on the new job, so best to relax inbetween jobs.

If you have some secret skills that no one in the company can perform, you can also say you'll offer your services as a consultant (maybe on the weekends) to train your replacement when they hire him/her. The bottom line - you have to quit because your new job is waiting and you're not happy as it stands.

-Xevious
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Give a notice, most companies don't reflect good on someone just quitting.
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    Depends on the company. For example, the place I used to work for had a policy: If an outside prospective employer called inquiring, my company was only allowed to answer "yes he/she worked here from that time etc." They could not say "he didnt give 2 weeks notice" or " he was bad worker etc."

I would talk to your Human Resources department about this. Try to get something in writing. If you have an open door communication with your boss, try asking him. I went to the program administrator and got permission. I left the next day.