Options

Just passed 003! Now what?

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got home from the test, I apparently was nervous for no good reason. It's a good thing overstudying doesnt hurt! I got an 820 and I didn't take very long at all.

I've got about 3 years of experience, and am a director of technology at a small school district. I also have a Bachelor's in Computer Science from a small state school.

I used the ExamCram book, and the technotes from this site. The technotes probably netted me atleast 3 answers I would have missed, and I only reviewed it last night for the first time. If I had looked it over for a week it would likely have been more like 7. Great job to the author!

Thanks to all who put work into the notes, and the practice exams on this site, I've lurked quite a bit until finally making myself take the test. I bought a short expiry voucher so I'd have to take it or lose my $. That is an easy motivator.

Now what?

Here are my options:

-=-=-=-=A+-=-=-=-=-
This seems like a step backwards, but HR departments are not smart it seems, and this is one cert that they MAY know. Could help open doors later..
Pro:
Another cert, maybe a good way to get resume some attention
Con:
Seems like a step back, not to insult those who have earned one, but from the network+ it seems to be a more entry-level exam. (not that the network+ is exactly a CCIE or anything)
Cost: Does it really cost $300 for the tests? It used to be a one test cert, now you have to take at least 2!? Argh.

-=-=-=CCNA-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a Cisco CCNA book handy, but no equipment to test it on.
Pro:
have the book, networking on the mind. Seems like a decent way to go career wise. Appears to be quite a bit of demand for it.
Con:
equipment (going to cost me a couple hundred to get going on it), wont be using it for work. I primarily am using HP switches/routers for the cost savings.

-=-=-=-=-MCSA/MCSE: -=-=-=-=-=-
Took a class for the 290 exam.. I wasn't really into it (but did ace the class), but I would be starting studying fresh. That was over a year ago now.
-Pro:
Work with Windows Server everyday, have some idea of what I'm doing. But will need to start fresh and make sure to do everything 'the microsoft way'
Seems to be a decent career option. the 620 exam will transfer to MCTIS etc for future certs
-Con:
Not really any cons I can think of, maybe getting a bit dated because of Win2k8

Anyway, thanks again! hopefully someone has a suggestion to help me make my choice!
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• Options
    BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, Looking at what you've said the MCSA might be a good next step and work up too the MCSE!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You've got the right idea, going for another cert after Network+. The A+ isn't a "step back", so much as it is a different field of IT work. Whereas the Network+ is entry-level networking concepts, the A+ is entry-level sysadmin/helpdesk concepts. If you're interested in going that direction, or rounding out your skills before you move on to more advanced topics, I'd highly recommend going for the A+, and then maybe even Linux+.

As for the CCNA vs. MCSE, I'm going to say that you're probably better off heading for the CCNA if you're just coming off the Network+. This path will extend the things you've just learned, and set you on the path to do higher-level Cisco and possibly Juniper certs. The MCSE path isn't a bad idea, but a little bit different from what you've been doing, as it's more of a sysadmin type of path. Doing the MCSE will invariably lead you towards the MCITP exams as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You've got the right idea, going for another cert after Network+. The A+ isn't a "step back", so much as it is a different field of IT work. Whereas the Network+ is entry-level networking concepts, the A+ is entry-level sysadmin/helpdesk concepts. If you're interested in going that direction, or rounding out your skills before you move on to more advanced topics, I'd highly recommend going for the A+, and then maybe even Linux+.

As for the CCNA vs. MCSE, I'm going to say that you're probably better off heading for the CCNA if you're just coming off the Network+. This path will extend the things you've just learned, and set you on the path to do higher-level Cisco and possibly Juniper certs. The MCSE path isn't a bad idea, but a little bit different from what you've been doing, as it's more of a sysadmin type of path. Doing the MCSE will invariably lead you towards the MCITP exams as well.

Well, I'm already mainly a network administrator. Kind of. I actually do everything for a district of about 180 machines or so, desktop repair, network, server administration, some linux, vm's etc.

The CCNA has to be renewed every three years right?

The MS certs actually pertain to my day-to-day work more than the CCNA. I'm thinking if I try to do an exam every month (6 weeks tops) I can finish off a MCSA by August and start a CCNA then (if the MS bug is out of my system.. otherwise MCITS track). I'm betting the CCNA will take me longer than the others from what I've read in the book. My worry is lack of applicable experience with Cisco equipment. Setting it up in a lab doesn't seem as valuable.. or does an HR rep really care?
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If your experience is primarily in systems administration, then Microsoft's definitely the way to go, cert-wise. (I could also say that something like the RHCE might serve you, but that's only if your organization's neck-deep in Linux, specifically Red Hat Enterprise.) As for labs vs. work-experience, that's a toss-up. Labs help you nail down the "way it's meant to be", and work-experience tends to throw a lot more curveballs at you. Doing lab-work doesn't devalue your certification, but having work experience is a big help. Keep in mind, though, you have to start somewhere with each topic, and doing a home-brewed lab is where most of us start.

Since you're already working with a Windows environment, go knock out that MCSE, (and maybe even MCITP: Enterprise Administrator,) then take it from there. Once you're "finished" with the Microsoft training, then it might be a good time to go round out your knowledge by starting on the Cisco track. Good luck! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.