Options

MCSE or CCNA next?

Hey guys, I'd like some advice. I just got my MCSA and am now (struggling) to find work. I have zero corporate experience so I'm not expecting it to be easy. I'm just wondering if it would benefit me more to go for CCNA or MCSE next. I know the MCSE is valued highly, but I see a lot of positions asking for CCNA, MS certs (MCSA, MCSE) and Exchange (along with other stuff).

So what do you guys think?
You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As I've said before

OSes come and go, but networks never die

CCNA!

:)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The MCSA doesn't have much recognition. I'd finish the MCSE since you're that far, and then you can branch out into Cisco, some/more Exchange studies, etc.
  • Options
    bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    The MCSA doesn't have much recognition. I'd finish the MCSE since you're that far, and then you can branch out into Cisco, some/more Exchange studies, etc.

I disagree. He has basically no experience, MCSE would be overkill. CCNA for mine.
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I don't know which would be best for a beginner, but I do know that MCSE is asked for much more than MCSA or CCNA in job postings. The gap between MCSE and MCSA is big as far as demand.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel that you should get some more experience before you attemp a higher level cert. Companies want to hire a people that have a good technical foundation and possibly certification but they wont hire you if your missing the experience. Things like that bring down the value of the certifications that we all work hard for.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bar182 wrote: »
    I disagree. He has basically no experience, MCSE would be overkill. CCNA for mine.

You could say the same for the CCNA too.

Imo, i agree with dynamik. Finish the MCSE and then go for the NA. They compliment each other nicely. Besides, you wont be the first (or last) person to have a cert which you dont have full experiance in. But they may get you noticed and get your first steps into the real world.

Good luck.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I feel that you should get some more experience before you attemp a higher level cert. Companies want to hire a people that have a good technical foundation and possibly certification but they wont hire you if your missing the experience. Things like that bring down the value of the certifications that we all work hard for.

Remember, just because he has the cert doesnt mean he has to list it on his CV. Lots of people do that if they look "over qualified" without the correct experiance.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nel wrote: »
    You could say the same for the CCNA too.

Besides, you wont be the first (or last) person to have a cert which you dont have full experiance in. But they may get you noticed and get your first steps into the real world.

Good luck.

Yes agreed. I think I said it in another post, that my first certs were A+, and Network+, that these certs after a couple of resumes went out, where a company did take a chance on me and gave me my shot cause of my certs. The experience I had was an old machine to work along side the book. They saw that I had the basic enough knowledge to come in and they teach me more.
    qwertyiop wrote:

Yes the company's do, but with the cert and some good interviewing skills you can land that first job. Just have to plug away at it and try to understand the material as much as possible. I'm sorry, but it doesn't bring down the value of certifications.

As far as which one. Since the replys are different, I would say the MCSE then CCNA route. I say that maybe because thats my route, but if you really can't decide, just think about what you like to do right at this moment, and just jump on it. Then follow up with the other.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    qwertyiop wrote: »

I absolutely agree with you. Experience speaks volumes more loudly than a piece of paper.

But in saying that, and believe me when I say I'm trying really hard to find work, there's only so much job hunting that one can do. Especially with the job market the way it is right now. So I'd much rather be learning something to get a cert, than sitting around scratching my arse and playing video games.

Like it was said before, I don't have to list it on my resume, and I'd much rather answer the question:

"I see you don't have any experience in x, y or z"

with:

"Correct, I have no corporate experience, but I am familiar with the concepts from deliberate exposure to the material" than "Yeah, you're right, I don't."

Murda put it nicely when he said: "with the right cert and some good interview skills..."

_____

Thanks, some interesting responses so far... any others?
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    do mcse you will have to start over once you r done with ccna it will take you aleast 2 months with no experiance ccna took me 3 months
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I'll put in my vote here....

Finish up your MCSE. The Microsoft stuff should be fresh in your head and it will be easier to complete it now. If you switch now, you will likely have to take time and refresh yourself before starting up on the MCSE path again.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I'll put in my vote here....

Finish up your MCSE. The Microsoft stuff should be fresh in your head and it will be easier to complete it now. If you switch now, you will likely have to take time and refresh yourself before starting up on the MCSE path again.

Valid point! However Aqua, if you decide to go the CCNA path, I would at least pass the 293 first. There is a lot of overlap between the 291 and the 293. You don't want to forget DNS and RRAS, and then have to take the 293 later in life. Remember all of the hard work you put into studying to learn this stuff icon_lol.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finish the MCSE and then you can get into CCNA. But the MCSE should help get that first job to start getting some experience.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to give another vote for finishing the MCSE. Knock out the last three exams, then do the CCNA. Between the two of them, you'll be getting a LOT more hits on your resume. After that, go for some Exchange studies; you're expected to know Exchange, as an MCSE, since most people associate Windows Server and Exchange as "all part of Microsoft's stuff."

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    I vote for DO IT ALL!!!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't over certify, if you don't have the XP you'll look like a cheater.

you might want to snag these entry level/associate level certs and spend a few months goofing around with each technology.

CCENT >> CCNA
    MCDST >> MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Tech
    Linux+

After you have one or two of adobe you can go back and finish your MCSE.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    1 vote for Juniper certs!! icon_cool.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender