Options

Exam booked for the end of the month - 083-640

My first Microsoft exam... should be interesting

70-640 in Australia was replaced with 083-640 apparently and now has a virtual component in it, where I was told originally it didn't.

So, any out there down 083-640 and can throw some pointers my way. Have worked in IT for about 6 years now with no certs (apart from Navini) but the company I work for would like us to go and get some for Microsoft seeing we will probably convert the business to Windows 2008 R2 and Win7 next year.

Any tip's or pointers are very much appreciated. And of course I don't want anyone to break any NDA's...
EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete

Comments

• Options
    TrendkillTrendkill Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm so i went to book in the 70-640 but it has been blocked off for English reading exam takers..

the new one.. 083-640

im guessing it has the simulator the lecturer at DDLS was talking about. i'll be taking it on the 6th of may, hope the sim isn't too extreme. has anyone else done it yet?
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Lol.. mine is at excom in Brissy on the 7th May.. Rescheduled it from the 29th of April as I had to go away the weekend before now. Anyway... using my labs at the moment as much as possible to break/fix and create...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apparently Transcender now has a product for the 83-640 as well

83-640 The Transcender Team Weblog
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Jamesm3Jamesm3 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has the exam also changed in the UK?

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
  • Options
    Just made sure that my second shot was also registered for this one. I think I am going to cover enough before I get in there, however I don't want to blow my $$$

Being my first Microsoft exam and it being scheduled for 4.5 hours in duration, I am taking that safety!

Will let you all know either way how I get on.

I reckon I do more study at the moment than hours I spend at work.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Does anyone know what happens if during the exam you completely stuff something up in the lab portion? With the sims you could just hit reset and start again
  • Options
    well ive registered for microsoft's second chance promotion, and im doing mine on the 5th of may.

the biggest issue i have now is what to actually practise for on the sim. i dont seem to have found any sample area's or someone saying what they were tested on.

as far as theory goes, i seem to be hitting the 80% mark.
  • Options
    Same here...no one is saying a damn thing about 83-640. I don't want to know the questions but wouldn't mind knowing what type of things the VM sessions are going to drill you on.
  • Options
    i've actually rebooked mine to the 21st of may as a result....

how did you go brad?
  • Options
    Mine is on tomorrow... will let you guys know once I have done it... will be drunk after for one reason or another :)
  • Options
    First ever Microsoft exam so was anxious as hell but...

Passed

Good luck to everyone else
  • Options
    grats!

how was the sim in terms of difficulty? easy problem, or was it like in depth certificate issues lol
  • Options
    Bit of everything really when it comes to the Sim.. I think it is random for everyone and just lists a series of things to do in the server for you to complete. It's actually not that bad :)

How did you go with yours?
  • Options
    ive been a nervous bugger and not sat the exam yet, but i am tomorrow o_0

i will let you all know how i went..
  • Options
    Hope you go well mate... good luck
  • Options
    flurrballflurrball Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! You will do good, the sims at the start will reassure you, they definitely made me more comfortable.
  • Options
    hey all,

i passed :D 816 out of 1000

my views on the exam:

- the sims are a godsend - i am much more comfortable showing i know how to do things via this method.
    - the sims do calm you down
    - they were a little slow, if anything. surely they could bump up the ram on these virtuals upto 1.5gb or even 2gb per box, espcially concidering none of my questions were more than 1 server online anyway.

written:
    - good god, so many q's regarding certificate services!
    - the rest is fine and is the usual microsoft way of asking a question. if youve done their exams in the past you will know what i mean

my question:

i have this cert now, along with the MSTS: networking (642) cert.. does this actually make me a certified anything, or do i need to take 1 more exam for that? the 2008 chart path is a little confusing.
  • Options
    If you take the 70-646, you will achieve MCITP:SA

Or you could take:
    70-643, 70-620 or 624, and 70-647 to achieve MCITP:EA

or you could take: 70-646, 70-643, 70-647, and either 70-620 or 624 for both MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA, although I think thats kinda redundant. If you have EA, I'm guessing it would be assumed you know the material for the SA.

How was the 70-642? I just started it, and seems like a lot of review from my cisco & 70-640 studying.

I would ideally like to only study for a week or two, and take it with the second shot offer to back me up.
  • Options
    Well done!

I have 70-642 on the 23rd of this month too so wouldn't mind knowing how you went with that as well.

Brad
  • Options
    hey, so far ive got the following quals for 2008

70-642
    83-640

so does that mean i need 1 more? of which ones again?

as for 70-642 - very easy. imo, the easier of the two. its very much a general knowledge, but make sure you have an understanding of ipv6 as there were a lot of questions on the exam about it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info trend, that is reassuring since I've already pretty much pounded IPv6 through my ccna studies.

So for you trend, if you took the 70-646, you would achieve MCITP:Server Admin cert.

I personally would rather have the MCITP:Enterprise Admin, which implies that you have the MCITP:SA qualifications. If you are going for MCITP:EA, then MCITP:SA is just an extra test, and probably not worth the money. But if this is as far as you are taking it, then I guess it's worth it.

Breakdown of reqs:

MCITP:SA
    70-640 or 83-640
    70-642
    70-646

MCITP:EA
    70-640 or 83-640
    70-642
    70-643
    70-620 or 70-624
    70-647

Here's a helpful link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2
  • Options
    flurrball wrote: »
    Thanks for the info trend, that is reassuring since I've already pretty much pounded IPv6 through my ccna studies.

So for you trend, if you took the 70-646, you would achieve MCITP:Server Admin cert.

I personally would rather have the MCITP:Enterprise Admin, which implies that you have the MCITP:SA qualifications. If you are going for MCITP:EA, then MCITP:SA is just an extra test, and probably not worth the money. But if this is as far as you are taking it, then I guess it's worth it.

Breakdown of reqs:

MCITP:SA
    70-640 or 83-640
    70-642
    70-646

MCITP:EA
    70-640 or 83-640
    70-642
    70-643
    70-620 or 70-624
    70-647

Here's a helpful link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

thanks for clarifying and showing that website, fantastic!!!

anybody sit that 643 exam? seems.. interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."