I want to setup a lab

I basically need to build a network to study for the 293. I've already upset DHCP, DNS, and RRAS from studying the 291. I need to build a PKI and NLB. What is the best way to do this? Should I use actual computers or should I use Virtual Machines for these?
The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293

Comments

• docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Deffo have to go down the virtual route, some go with VMware and
    others (me) like M.S.'s Virtual PC. Its a great way to go and a must
    it you want to try PKI and NLB.
    I had one 2003DC, two member 2003, two XP and two Vista.

Let me know if need help setting up, there is all the info you need
    in previous topics.

Good luck
    D.S.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    docspawn wrote: »
    Let me know if need help setting up

I might have to take you up on that offer later icon_lol.gif

With setting up your PKI, did you have a stand alone root? How many subordinates did you have?

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can use physical, virtual, or a combination. Whatever works for you. I do everything in VMs, but if you have a lot of physical machines laying around, they will certainly work.

You can get by with a single CA. It's important that you understand when and why you'd want to make a CA hierarchy, but as far as configuration goes, there's not that much to it. Just having one will get you familiar with what you can do.
  • TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm just starting on the 70-293 as well and am in the process of setting up my next lab. I am doing it all in virtual images using Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007, simply because VPC is so easy to set up and it does the job.
    You need a reasonable processor and a lot of RAM on your host machine. A Pentium D or better and 4 GB of memory will serve you well. You can set up many images with this.
    Dedicate about 256 MB to each server or 512 MB to clients. Use Windows 2003 as your host machine if you have the option.
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I look forward to building NLB and PKI.

• jay47jay47 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should also get a Technet+ subscription from Microsoft.Have had it for several years and can recomend it.
    Working on 642-845ONT
    jay47 wrote: »
    You should also get a Technet+ subscription from Microsoft.Have had it for several years and can recomend it.

I think I better take your advice, seeing that you have multiple MCSE's icon_lol.gif